Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olive51

need help choosing junipers

olive51
9 years ago

Hi, I am debating between Juniper Virginiana Emerald Sentinal or Burkki or Juniper Chinensis Spartan for a tall privacy hedge. I am open to other suggestions as well.

The area I have is 7 - 8 feet wide and I would like something that can reach a mature height of 15 to 25 feet. I think part of my dilemma is finding something that will grow that tall without getting too wide for the space.

I live in Atlanta, zone 7.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Emerald Green Arborvitae are also being considered, but I have many already and am looking for a different color and texture.

Comments (20)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Are there tall skinny hollies? Maybe a clumping bamboo?

What are you trying to shelter? And do you need year-round privacy

The drawback to the privacy hedge is the light blocking wall-o-green you get.

• Johniferous (Zone 6B, Northern NJ)
    9 years ago

I highly recommend Silver Eastern Red Cedar (Juniper Virginiana Glauca). It has the silver-blue color of a colorado blue spruce and does not grow quite as tall as eastern redcedar.

I got one that grew in a really unique form from the local garden center. I'll snap a pic for you tomorrow.

• mmajicmann
    9 years ago

you might consider witchita blue or moonglow

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Lazygardens,

Thanks for your response. I think there are some tall skinny hollies, the variety called Foster has been suggested and I'm looking into it.

The privacy screen I need is on the border with my neighbors--they are lovely people, but I do want year round privacy. There is a 5 foot high fence that runs for about 40 feet, and a 7 foot wide planting area next to it. Next to that is a concrete walkway.

Right now there are a bunch of 35 - 40' leyland cypress there, planted about 6 feet apart. Yep. You read that right. The former owners planted them. We are shearing up to about 8 feet each year so that we can still use the walkway, but it's a losing battle. We will soon shear into the brown insides of the trees.....

I will have to have the leylands 'flown' out via crane (ka-ching) but it's the only way. (I had a similar line of leylands removed this way already, the cost was the same as taking them down manually, and took about 1/10 of the time with no mess.)

So, as you can $ee, I want to get this right. I expect to pay $200 to $350 per tree, to get them at a good size. I would love something that gets 30 feet tall to completely hide the neighbors house, but with 7 feet wide to work with, I don't expect I will find that. I will be happy with something that gets 15 - 20 feet tall....

The wall-o-green is not my fave either, I am all for mixing types, sizes, shapes, colors and textures of plants, but the fence is (ugly) white plastic and we really do want to hide it and the house which is near, and big.

Also, thanks Johniferous, but I am wondering if the Glauca will get too wide? I'll look into it some more.....

Thanks again!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Take a look at Juniperus virginianus 'Taylor". Stays VERY narrow.

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Laceyvail,

Thanks!! I think the 'Taylor' is now the front-runner!! Looks like it will get the height I want without the width. Thanks again!

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

'Bout 10 years ago, I acquired a bunch of Taylor rooted cuttings from a nursery out in Nebraska for an arboretum project. However the project was not very well received and I ended up giving most of them away - I think Dax may have been given a couple. Most folks here thought they were nothing more than our native j. virginiana and not very attractive. Three were planted in an obscure area of Cox Arboretum and forgotten about. One is now around 10 ft. tall and maybe 24 inches wide, the other two are about 8 and 6 ft tall and very narrow. Last year or two I have observed Taylor being offed by several of the better garden centers in the area so we made our three Taylor more visible/accessible for public viewing.

Marshall

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

In Atlanta, I'd imagine that snow load is rarely and issue, although I think you guys do get some nasty ice storms every now and then. That kind of whether wreaks havoc on juniper. In the north, we typically prefer to use Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire', ensuring they are single leader only for both snow load and to keep them narrow. These may not grow as fast or as tall as Juniper, but you can still expect about 1ft p/year after they have adjusted.

Google may show much variation in width of this cultivar, but that is likely due to single vs. multi leader.

If you want to mix it up, you could also add some upright boxwood. Makes one of the best hedges around, but slow growing:

Buxus sempervirens 'Graham Blandy'
    Buxus sempervirens 'Fastigiata'
    Buxus sempervirens 'Dee Runk'

This post was edited by SC77 on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 11:08

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi SC77,

These addition of buxus is a great idea. If I can mix some Taylor Junipers with some arbs (that won't get too wide--maybe Emerald Green or possibly Nigra?) and kind of stagger the planting, I could add some buxus in front for a nice texture and color change and still get the privacy I want. Thanks!

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

I tend to use the latin names, but Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire = Narrow Arborvitae, so you should have your 3 different types of plants to complete the privacy screen

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi SC77,

I am familiar with DeGroots, but was thinking it may be too skinny? I thought if I mixed in a wider thuja with the Taylor Juniper and Buxus, it would be attractive....

Oh, and you mentioned our Georgia ice storms--yes, we do get hit with them, I used to have a wax myrtle hedge that looked like a pile of overcooked spaghetti after an ice storm!

No firm decisions yet, still thinking it all over. I'll attach a layout I drew, it's not perfectly to scale, but is close....

Thanks!!

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

FWIW - here's an image of the Taylor's I was referring to previously. Need to say that until this fall, they were surrounded with high prairie grass and all three had honeysuckle growing around their base. A good picture was difficult today with the bright sunlight and snow cover.
    Marshall

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey mrgpag,

Wow, these Taylor's don't look so good, very sparse. Do you think that's due to the high grass and honeysuckle that was growing around their base? Do you know if they become sparse when they don't get enough sun? The way I have drawn my plan, they will not get full sun, but will get lots of afternoon sun.....thoughts?

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

Yeah - they aren't the best specimens around, but with some care, I think they'll grow out of a lot of that in time. They were planted in 2007 and forgotten about - no watering, weeding - nothing until this fall when the prairie situation was mowed and all the unwanted companion plants removed. Some of the honeysuckle was almost as large as the Taylors. As for sunlight needs, I would say your amount of sun would be fine, but there may eventually be some issues with the closeness of the fence. And that would apply to all the different selections mentioned to date. another selection you might consider - if you can find it - Taxus x media 'Flushing'. There are varied descriptions of height throughout the internet websites from 3' in 10 years to 12-15. I planted one in '04 that was about 4 foot tall at the time and is now probably 14' and no more than 30" wide - maybe slightly less. It has been the fastest growing narrow columnar taxus I have - Sentinalis, Beanpole, Fastigiata, Maureen, St. Bridges, Viridis, Strictica, Minute Westons'. Flushing tends to be multi stem, but the secondary stems stay close to the main and go straight up. Color is a nice dark green year 'round. My only problen is snow loads here in the north, so I have used 1" green webbing and surrounded all the stems about every 5 feet and that has done the trick. Guess that's about all I can add at this time.

I see you're in the Atlanta area. Are you familiar with Leaves and Petals Garden center in Lawrenceville? I have a daughter in Alpharetta and would like to visit that GC the next time I'm down that way.

Marshall

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Marshall,

Yes, I'm in Buckhead, a bit south of Alpharetta (which is a lovely area). I have heard great things about Leaves and Petals and it's on my list to visit! I've heard they have an excellent selection and more unusual plants than the chain or big box nurseries...

Thanks for the tip on the taxus, Flushing. I hadn't considered Taxus but will.....with my 7 foot wide area between the fence and walkway, maybe if I choose trees that get two feet to no wider than 5 feet, some sunshine could hit the east side of the trees for a bit each day.....if there is space between the fence and the trees.....I hope that makes sense....

I really want to make the right choice, but don't want to get analysis paralysis :-) I'll have time this week to do some in depth research and hopefully make a decision!

Thanks for your time and ideas!

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    9 years ago

Olive51 - if you're still looking for some Taylor's, here's a source from which I have always received quality plant material. Looks like they are pretty much sold out now but have stock coming on. I believe you can pre-order with delayed shipments. Their website shows some nice specimens of Taylor - not like the sorry ones I showed you. 10 years ago I couldn't give these plants away and now sources are sold out.
    Have a Great Thanksgiving
    Marshall

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooner Plant Farm

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for a great link!! I am always so amazed and grateful at how many people take the time to help others on these forums.

I am pretty sure about going with Taylors and some boxwood in front, still considering options for the third type to plant.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

I'd just like to add that my oldest 'Taylor' has never had any problems with heavy wet snow. Also it's a dense, handsome plant. last spring I added 4 more 'Taylors'. I'm very pleased with this cultivar.

I have gotten mine from Sooner, but they're quite expensive and the shipping costs are appalling. Last spring, Klehm's carried 'Taylor' at less cost, but I'd already placed a Sooners order.

• olive51
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for this info, Laceyvail.

I am pretty much all set to use some Taylors, but the company I'm working with isn't sure about sourcing them in my area (Atlanta, GA).

I am researching, trying to find them at least somewhat locally....I do see they carry them at Sooners as you mention, and also found a nursery in Illinois that may be closer and less $ to ship...as well as a wholesaler in Nashville (Samara Farms) that I will look into......

I think the Taylor is quite beautiful!