Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

The imposing 'Perry's Gold'

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

Going into Winter we can finally relax and share with others about those special conifers we grow in our gardens. It's always interesting to know some background on those cultivars that are near and dear to our hearts. Everyone of them has a story to tell.

Picea abies 'Perry's Gold'.

One of the most striking forms of color when in spring flush. There are no contenders that will compete in formality, stateliness or appearance when it has center stage.

The first photo I dug out of the old ACS conifer data base from 2006. Some how it remains there today severely out dated and looking like an orphan child. I am thinking 5-6 years old at that time. It was purchased for what reason I don't even remember. I am thinking the name was the deciding factor although it had no special meaning to me. I moved it from the 2006 location realizing I had something special that deserved a focal point location.

{{gwi:842965}}

The second photo as it looked in early June of 2013 in full Spring flush.

{{gwi:842966}}

Observed characteristics of this cultivar are a slow growing, dense, small tree that tends to be spreading when young. Its spring foliage is bright yellow becoming green as the season progresses; Growth rate, up to 6â³- 8" per year.

Edwin Smits did the research about how, when and where this cultivar was introduced to the trade.

For the record: This is the right info you need for the Picea abies âÂÂPerryâÂÂs GoldâÂÂ:

It was found by Arthur Perry along a side of a road in Vermont.

He brought scions to Greg Williams who propagated it and named it after the founder.

Kate Brook Nursery brought it into the trade under this name.

I guess only a few people in this world are familiar with this info yetâ¦

Yet another photo with Bob Fincham and his friend Dean with 'Perry's Gold'. I am thinking Bob is somewhere near 6 ft. give or take. Observing 'Perry's Gold' in growth and stature compared to the 2006 photo the spreading growth habit can be observed. It is as wide as tall. 6 ft. X 6 ft.

One last observation that I failed to mention. Someone in the trade decided to rename it 'Perry's Golden' which is incorrect. When doing a search you will sometimes see it listed this way.

Dave

Comments (6)