sluice

urban conifers

sluice
13 years ago

a pair of picea pungens

Comments (22)

• curcubeu
    13 years ago

presumably a man and his wife, they look good together!

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Wow Nate,
    don't stop your suburban conifer investigations! The Lady looks like nice, similar to Warrior.
    Zsolt

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Which one is the lady? ;0)

• pineresin
    13 years ago

They've both got cones on, and I'd expect (since Picea pungens is monoecious) both will have pollen cones in spring.

So they're not a man and wife. A civil partnership might be a better designation. Or you could always call them Skinny and Fatso . . .

;-)

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Or Narrow Jenny and Fat Freddy :)

Or Narrow Freddy and Fat Jenny...

Anyway, the narrow one looks like good. I expect, that the narrow one turns down to a columnar habit after 20 years. The top 5-8 meters are rather similar. In a seedbed its impossible to select trees for what you see only after 20 years.
    Thats why I like (sub)urban conifering.

Zsolt

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

Nice trees are they long lived in Britain?

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Nate,
    here is an other narrow-fat couple. In 2005 I described the narrow one as Picea pungens MPH Templomtorony, which is likely a Temple's Tower.

{{gwi:719225}}

The big one is also interesting of his gigantic measures.

Zsolt

• sluice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Templomtorony looks nice!

Another P. pungens, with green needles.
    {{gwi:592580}}

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Strongly blue skinny ones are fairly prevalent in yards here, nobody I know has a cultivar name for them that I am certain is correct*. Colorado spruce is quite common in plantings here despite being prone to aphids and algae etc. to a significant degree in this climate. Trees seen in the more suitable conditions east of the Cascade Mountains look much better. Spokane has some stunning specimens, tall and vibrant looking. One of these trees was determined to be 102' tall during 1988.

*Van Pelt, Champion Trees of Washington State (1996, University of Washington, Seattle) lists a 'Columnaris' 32' tall and 4' across from Tacoma; as I remember it this was his identification of the same very short-branched and dense blue cultivar or type

• mesterhazypinetum
    13 years ago

Nate,
    that's classic and ready. Give a name and graft in February.
    Last winter I also found an old green dwarf pungens. I took it to my friend Gyula, and he told me: thats green! Yes, I see also, but the world is full with blue pungenses!

I'm very glad, that the suburban conifering works also in Colorado!

Zsolt

• sluice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

P. pungens, at local college campus.

P. Pungens

• greenlarry
    13 years ago

So good to see conifers allowed to spread out and be trees! So many round here planted in tubs or squashed up against a fence or wall-it puts me off conifers!

• sluice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

another Picea pungens

• bunkers
    13 years ago

Nate, love the pictures as usual!

I've been noticing an interesting one (on the left/West side) while driving North on I-25, just off the highway in the tech center. I'm wondering if they was the one in your last shot. I'm thinking not, because the one I've been looking at is in full view from the highway ... but similarly funky with these 'arms'.

• sluice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Scott,

It must be the one! This is just where you describe, between Dry Creek and Arapahoe. The retaining wall on the right side is for the light rail.

Nate

• sluice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the first time I've seen a cedar growing locally, outside of a botanical garden or nursery.
    Cedrus deodara (?)

Pinus ponderosa

• fotisr
    13 years ago

Well Sluice, this is a Cedrus libani ssp. atlantica 'Glauca'. The most beautiful blue color on a conifer, IMHO! This is growing in z5??? Imagine I was afraid of frost damage during mine's first winter at -12C.........

Best regards,
    Fotis

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Fotis is right, it's a Cedrus libani ssp. atlantica 'Glauca' indeed.
    The last 2 winters here in The Netherlands we had temperatures till -22 degrees Celcius.
    All the tree forms of this species survived with no damage at all!
    Several Cedrus deodara cultivars were heavy damaged or killed...

• darob
    13 years ago

Welcome
    Here's my couple in love
    Darek

• sluice
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Fotis and Edwin for the ID. I hope to add Cedrus libani to my spring gardening!

Darek, those are nice conifers! What types?

• gardener365
    13 years ago

That ponderosa is just awesome. Need scions, email on the way!

Dax

• curcubeu
    13 years ago

here's a modest pinus nigra filled with rime in my town.