Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact'

Picea omorika 'Bruns'

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Rimpelaar'

Richard

Comments (18)

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Richard,

Thanks for posting your great mix of conifers that fit nicely into your garden.

Looks like your 'Skylands is trying to sort itself out with you giving it some help.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Your spruces take a perfect form reaching maturity. I like the 'Skylands' just the way it is, with a wave on the trunk at low height. I would unstake it as well.

You convinced me on buying a 'Burns' with this image!

On the image of 'Filip's Blue Compact' is that Picea engelmanii 'Compact' in the back left?

Best regards,
    Fotis

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the 'Skylands' was wayward in the first couple of years or so. This year it is now showing strong upward growth. It is actually planted on a steep bank.
    Fotis, the plant you are referring to is Picea pungens 'Iseli Fastigiate' behind Picea omorika 'Treblitsch'.
    Richard

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Richard, it's very clear why your nickname is "Sprucebud", you've a very nice assortment of spruces.

It's good to see that the Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact' is very happy in your garden.
    It developed very well as we all can see from your formerly pics on...

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Richard, please can you also show us a pic of your Picea abies 'Filip's Mystic Black'?
    I'm very curious how it looks like at this moment.
    Thanks in advance!

• fotisr
    11 years ago

So Richard you have two 'Iseli Fastigiate'? Because I see one in the 5th photo, in the back, as well...

Also I would like to see your Picea omorika 'Aurea'. I'm kind of watching how yours develops over the past two seasons.

Thank you in advance,
    Fotis

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

That Abies koreana 'Fliegende Untertasse' habit is the cat's pajamas.

Thats the first young 'Skylands' I've seen without burn.

• severnside
    11 years ago

Abies koreana 'Fliegende Untertasse' as Whaas says is really great in form.

One of the great gardens, don't see many pines, not a fan?

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of Picea abies 'Filip's Mystic Black':

Picea omorika 'Aurea'

Yes, I do have a selection of pines in my garden too. This picture shows Pinus mugo 'Krauskopf' and Pinus nigra 'Obelisk':

Richard

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Love your use of Black Mondo. That black color seems to accentuate every conifer.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Excellent stuff, Richard. Your gardens always look like something from a fairy tale.

What is the Pinus strobus behind Picea omorika 'Aurea'?
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with us all!

-Sam

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Now that Picea omorika 'Aurea' is the perfect narrow spruce! Love it every time! I had mine from Edwin and first summer it took a 'Skylands' yellow color on new growth. Very intense. Unfortunately I lost in late spring this year due to drought. It was very yellow. Yours isn't so yellow but it has a tri-color effect like 'Peve-Tijn' which is similarily desirable! I have what? 5-6 years until I have spruces like yours? pffff... :)

Best regards,
    Fotis

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thank you, Richard. Enjoyable as always.
    I, too, echo the reaction to Abies koreana 'Fliegende Untertasse'. That is a very nice plant.

tj

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the interest in my garden!
    Sam, the pine is Pinus schwerinii (x) 'Wiethorst'.
    Richard

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Richard, thanks for your pic of the 'Filip's Mystic Black'.
    Also this one is doing fine in your garden which I can see because of it's very dark green needles which is typical for this cultivar.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Thank you Richard for nice tour through your garden!

I like spruces a lot too:) Very nice omorika 'Bruns' and 'Aurea'. I have 'Aurea', 'Pendula', 'Pendula Bruns' but now I want 'Bruns' too! Very nice branches shape.... And beautifull 'Filip's Mystic Black'.

Perennials form beautiful accents among the trees. Nice! Autumn does not interfere your garden beauty!

Ireena

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Someone has to have 'Filip's Mystic Black' around here?!?

I remember that scion I had in my possession for a short time had the darkest green needles of any plant I've ever seen.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, ask at a gardencentre who's ordening from the Buchholz Nursry, they do have it listed...
    Good luck finding this beauty!