Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus thunbergii 'Mini Mounds'

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 12:36

next to resinosa aurea ... green giants behind.. and the neighbors picea abies???

i think it is a thunderhead look alike [pretty close anyway] .. but much faster grower ....

the brown stuff is taxodium disectum sheddings ...

ken

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus thunbergii 'Mini Mounds'

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 13:17

Looks so friendly and soft! I like this one for sure.

I have 'Thunderhead' but have been warned that Pinus thundergii "may" not perform in my zone 5.

Any ideas on age? I can find out what low your plant experienced unless you know it off the top of your head.

o

i am in wind swept.. full sun.. COLD zone 5 .. interpret that anyway you want ...

this thunbergii ... if in fact it is such .. grows like a weed ... with no care about being in z5 ...

thunderhead also does well .. but shows some winter burn.. is half the size ... in about the same number of years ... and needs to be cleaned out often.. and that is not a fun job ...

database says:

mini mounds: GIR 6/2004
thunderhead: SS 9/2003 -- which is stanley

i dont have a current photo of thunderhead ... walked right by it when i snapped the current crop of pix ... both would have been 2nd or 3 year one gal pots .... as i rarely bought bigger than such.... once i started buying in volume ...

ken

o

Ken,

It is a beautiful tree. I was thinking the exact same thing as Whaas that it looks so soft.

What do you mean Thunderhead needs to be cleaned out? Here I though conifers were NO WORK? LOL So you actually have to clean out the old needles from the ground?

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 23:07

Lady, some pines aren't very dense so the needles fall to the ground. Others are quite dense and require you to pull out the needles within the canopy. You need to do this to improve air circulation.

I can tell Ken is going to have to clean out this 'Mini Mounds' plant.

o

I think that 'Mini Mounds' is just a renamed Japanese cultivar like 'Sayonara', 'Maijima' or 'Banshosho'...
Just can't say which one because I've never seen mature one's of these.

o

Whaas, do you use a rake for the taller varieties? I've never done anything like that with my conifers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here