Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abies fraseri 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet'

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 12:42

anyone else have any pix????

hasnt been much of anything .. but it is finally putting on some size.. so one of two things will happen ...

it will turn into a favorite..

or it will die this winter ... lol

who was wingle ....

and why are there so few other fraseri.. that i am aware of ...

ken

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abies fraseri 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet'

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 13:20

I have a little bitty itty one. Nice color indeed.

Is it just 'Blue Bonnet' btw?

o

i am sure joy will let us know..

the label is made at planting.. though i might change the database.. the label will always be a such

ken

o

It was found as a blue seedling selection by Mat Wingle at an Christmas tree farm.
He named it 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet' but for some this was to long and it was shortened into only 'Blue Bonnet' which is illegitimate...

o

Mon, Nov 28, 11 at 17:44

So that means 'Blue Bonnet' is not accepted by the standards?

Sounds like we should indeed use 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet' then?

o

Yep, we must use 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet' because that's the original name given to this plant and nobody has the right to change it in the way they like...

Ken wrote it in the right way (this time) ;0)

o

Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 13:20

You know what I love about posts like these?

#1 You get to see a beautiful pic of the plant
#2 You get to see the various names of the plant
#3 You get clarification on the right name
#4 If you search for Abies fraseri 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet' or even 'Blue Bonnet' this is the #1 google hit, boom!

Everything (well almost) you'd want to know about this cultivar is RIGHT here!

So thanks to all who post pics of their cultivars...and Edwin (and others) for the stories and names behind the plant.

o

It's a shame because 'Blue Bonnet' was evocative wheras 'WBB' sounds like a gin.

If it was less of a spreader I'd snap one up in a second. Supreme.

o

Matt first distributed this plant as 'Blue Bonnet'. My first scions from him in the early '80's were simply labled Abies fraseri 'Blue Bonnet'. The Wingle's was added at a later date. Possibly the same thing as what happened to Dick Bush's plants. After they had already been shared with others and started showing up in various locations, he decided he wanted Bush added to the name of each of his plants.

This inconsistency just adds to naming confusion.

Bob

o

Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 15:38

Cripes, now I need to go back to 'Blue Bonnet'?

I have to much respect for yourself and Edwin so I don't know who has it right.

o

The thing is that Matt himselve wanted to be his name involved in this cultivar name, it's his choice that the cultivar name is 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet'.
In my opinion just 'Blue Bonnet' was the temporary name.

Indeed, the same thing happened with the Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' and the Abies koreana 'Kohout's Icebreaker...

o

Strictly speaking according to the code of nomenclature, once a plant name is published in a dated publication with a description that is the name of the plant and it cannot be changed. So when plants are shared and the founder adds to the name after it has been validly published, he is making a mistake. However, we can ignore the code to keep him happy and make the change as long as we all agree?

The point is: be careful before sharing plants and make sure they are properly named. Picea pungens 'Walnut Glen' had this problem and now is sometimes called 'Goldie'.

Likewise, Gunter Horstmann named a plant 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'. So that is what the name must be, not 'Silberlocke' as has often shown up recently. Likewise for Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold', which was shortened to 'Tom Thumb' to save lable space. These names have been shortened after being validly published, just the opposite of the other ones discussed.

Trying to keep the nomenclature straight is often like flailing at windmills.

Bob

Luckily nobody published the name 'Icebreaker' before Jorg changed it to 'Kohout's Icebreaker'.

o

Bob, I guess your last comment about the 'Ice Breaker' is just a joke :0)
Google is full of 'Ice Breaker'.
To make this story more exciting, I received this one in 2005 as 'Silberlocke W.B.'...
That's why I mentioned all these 3 cultivar names at my website.

o

This old school intervention is note-worthy. Will 'Kohout's Icebreaker' succeed is only a guess. Likely, not ;0)

Thanks Bob,

Dax

o

Dax, how did you name it at ACS Database?
You should be the one who's getting things straight isn't it :0)

o

I checked with the registrar for conifers at the RHS a few months ago since I plan on registering the golden seedlings I am introducing plus the ones that I sold and were named by others. Names and descriptions used on the internet are not presently accepted as valid publication for registration purposes. So we can add to the confusion all we want on the web by using names in lists or web based catalogs but to have a name accepted as the valid name, it has to be done in print. Hopefully the RHS will catch up to the digital world before too long.

Bob

o

Haven't paid my dues to the ACS for a year. I have no access to The Conifer Database.

Dax

o

Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 18:02

Its listed as 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet' on the ACS.

o

That's what I thought :0)

o

so no one else has the plant.. and can add a picture????

ken

o

Ken, unfortunately I don't have a pic of the one which I've here at my Pinetum, it's just a 2 year old one which doesn't show much character yet.
Luckily I found one at my friend Larry Stanley's website...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet'

o

Have to say I agree with Bob on this one, once a name has been validly published that's the name that should be accepted, adding Wingle's just adds to confusion as far as I'm concerned. I for one will stick with 'Blue Bonnet!

o

Who validly published it first under just 'Blue Bonnet'?

Stephen, if you agree with Bob how comes that you're publishing 'Kohout's Icebreaker' instead of 'Icebreaker' at your website?
Why don't you agree with 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet' but do you agree with 'Kohout's Icebreaker'?

Btw 'Kohout's Ice Breaker' is wrongly written...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Kohout's Icebreaker'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here