Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clement_2006

Pinus sabiniana

clement_2006
12 years ago

I purchase without succes a young plant of Pinus sabiniana, maybe someone know a source in Europe ??

Thanks,

Clement

Comments (20)

• nikkie_in_toronto
    12 years ago

I saw this headline and I dont want to change the subject, but does anyone know much about the hardiness of Pinus sabiniana? I was always told it was a zone 7 plant, but this summer I saw a 25-30 foot specimen at the Cleveland, Ohio zoo. I was very surprised because it looked quite healthy and identicle to the ones I have seen in the west.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I have a friend working at that zoo. He's their lead horticulturalist.

Dax

• scpalmnut
    12 years ago

I knew of a mature one in Reno, NV that survived -18F in the early 90's if that helps.

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

scpalmnut, have a possibility to collect some seeds for me ?
    Clement

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Clement

Ive sent you an Email regarding p sabiniana seeds

• nikkie_in_toronto
    12 years ago

@Dax. Its right next to the pavilion where some of the fastfood places are when you enter the zoo. Its a stunning plant. The zoo also has a few crape myrtles scattered throughout so I assume the microclimate helps. I'm curious how long it has been there and where one could find one? I know Buchholz has it on his website.

• scotjute Z8
    12 years ago

They are listed as hardy to 12F by USDA Plants Database. I have one here that has survived temperatures down to 15F. It seems to be iffy if it will survive, but don't think that is due to the cold.

Have eaten the seeds when in California. They are rather good. Surprised there isn't more of a market for them.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"Have eaten the seeds when in California. They are rather good. Surprised there isn't more of a market for them"

Because they're tough nuts to crack for the size of kernel you get. Hard work, and most people don't enjoy hard work!

Resin

• conifer50
    12 years ago

The P. sabiana population near the Shasta County/Lassen County line has seen temps as low as -25 F in the not so distant past.

Johnny

• Davepl
    12 years ago

Is there maybe a seed source known where I can purchase seeds?

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I emailed this guy but he hasn't responded. It's besides the point right now because I'm 100% sure he works at the Cincinnati zoo.

Dax

• shastensis
    12 years ago

This plant is much hardier than 12f. I can collect and mail some seeds in the next month if anyone wants to trade.

• sluice
    12 years ago

Shastensis, if you think this would be hardy in my 5b, I would be interested to trade.

• Davepl
    12 years ago

Shastensis, I would be also interested in a trade. Please send me an email.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Has to be able to take ALL the conditions on an eastern site to make it there, not just the winter cold. Many western plants can't take the eastern summers.

• pinyonhead
    12 years ago

According to the distribution map for Pinus sabiniana, it is native to NE Shasta county California. The temperature
    records for Fall River Mills (3200'=1000m) list a record
    low of -20F(-29C). This would jive with the 6b-7a hardiness
    zone rating for absolute record low temperature. Since I am in zone 3b-4a = average low of -30F(-35C), absolute record low near -50F(-45C), this would be a dieback to the snowcover depth much like the Pinus heldreichii I planted a few years ago. With recent winters here showing no sign of global warming
    [-35F(-37C)=2009 -25F(-32C)=2010, -30F(-35C)=2011],
    I think I will stick with Pinus koraiensis.

• shastensis
    12 years ago

A gentleman on the Dave's Garden site reported that this Pine is doing well in Arkansas, of all places. Now that's summer humidity. Supposedly it has performed fine. It might just be one of those cases where a species has simply not been "tried" enough in a multitude of sites, like Cupressus bakeri, which seems to take humid summers quite well so long as it is given full sun adequate drainage. Sluice, since your summers are not very humid in Denver I would think that this pine would do well for you. I will collect some seed sometime this month.

• shastensis
    12 years ago

Also, Pinus sabiniana is not just native to Shasta County - it is one of the most widespread pines in the state, in some localities it grows rather "high" in the Sierra foothills. It has surely seen 0 F before, probably much lower, but that is most likely not the LIMIT of what it can take...who knows what it has in it's genes - Cupressus macnabiana in it's wild environment rarely sees temps lower than 20F, especially not for any sustained periods of time. Yet it can tolerate lows of -5, maybe lower.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Hi Pinyonhead,

"much like the Pinus heldreichii I planted a few years ago"

That should take -45ðC OK, give it another try.

Resin

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    11 years ago

I realize this is a 14 month old thread....my error.

A photo is always welcome....found this one of Pinus sabiniana at the Cleveland Zoo.

Here is a link that might be useful: ENTSTrees Forum

This post was edited by smivies on Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 20:00