Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cephalotaxus lanceolata other clone

Posted by blue_yew Z9 swe (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 13:13

One of two clones of Cephalotaxus lanceolata I have.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cephalotaxus lanceolata other clone

Nice!

o

Jason

Do you have a photo of your specimen?.

o

I wonder if you have the same problem with Cephalotaxus that I do.C. harringtonia 'Duke Gardens' was the slowest non-dwarf conifer I ever grew.Pathetic.Must have grown about 3" a year.It has a slow reputation, fine...I won't bother with it again.

More recently C. fortunei from Rarefind grows a little faster, but not much.I've had it since 2006 and it hasn't produced a tall shoot yet.Every year it increases its angle of attack toward the sky, but it's still only at about 40 degrees! Overall plant height still < 24"/55cm. With their bigger foliage I'd expect them to grow faster than a plain old Taxus baccata, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have fertilized to no avail; and we've had dry summers but it's in a spot that gets some runoff moisture (but is well drained) and nearby rhodies haven't been drought stressed at all. At the rate things are going, Rhododendron makinoi - not even a fast grower - is going to start to shade it out soon!

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 15:23

o

Mine doesn't look that good, but I do have photos of specimens at ABG. The best species I have is C. wilsoniana - vigorous and nice tree form. I also have C. oliverii and C. mannii.

o

Sounds like you're all suffering from vegetatively propagated specimens with no apical dominance, behaving as side branches. If you could get them to develop an erect trunk, they'd be better. Coppicing them should work, but it's a bit of a drastic action to take with such rare plants, with the worry that if it doesn't work it'll be fatal.

Seed-grown plants would be even better yet.

Resin

o

On the photo it's a Cephalotaxus fortunei.

o

Here's one with apical dominance. Cephalotaxus harringtonia, 'Erecta'. Sounds like a social disease.
It seems to be a medium grower, not slow at all. I have had it three years from a one gallon pot.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here