Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborahjarman

Can someone help id this tree?

Deborah Jarman
10 years ago

Purchased a home in January and have begun the process of thinning out an overgrown landscape. There are three of these conifers planted near the front of the house. I think these are too close to the house and would like to move them to another area on the property, but need to know what they are and how big they will get to select the proper place to plant them. Only grew about 2" this season. Newer growth is blue/green/gray, with older foliage more green. They look quite a bit like photos I've seen of Blue Atlas Cedar, but not sure. Have Deodor Cedar on the property, but these are more of a blue spruce color. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

This post was edited by blackdiamond on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 14:16

Comments (9)

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another close up photo of the foliage and trunk. Trees are about 10' tall. Thanks again.

This post was edited by blackdiamond on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 14:32

• pineresin
    10 years ago

It's another Deodar Cedar, presumably a different cultivar to your other one. Some of the cultivars of this are strikingly glaucous. The needles are a bit too long for Atlas Cedar.

Resin

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any idea how large it will get? There are three planted close to the front of the house. Trying to decide how much space to give them when I transplant to another area away from the house. Thanks.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Give them all the space you can. They get big, and they get big fast.
    Whoever planted the Deodara there didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. It's touching the gutter and it's still a baby! That tree can swallow an average front yard. Probably two.
    I live just down the road from you near Maple Valley.
    Mike

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Thanks. We have 5 acres and I'm thinking of moving them to the west side of the property well away from the house. They will have lots of room to flourish, and be a nice backdrop on the top of a ridge behind an area that is planted with native plants I love the color of the foliage and the wispy nature of these trees. Definitely want them to have a spot where they can shine. New to this much property and so many species. Lots to learn... Glad to have a GW member so close by! Thanks for your input; perhaps one day we can meet and we can swap ideas and/or plants... Cheers!

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Sounds good to me! Send me an E-mail.
    I'm a 70 yr. old married, retired garden designer and landscape contractor with 10 acres that I have gardened on since 1978.
    I even have a few extra trees. :-)
    Mikebotann@gmail.com

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Sounds good to me! Send me an E-mail.
    I'm a 70 yr. old married, retired garden designer and landscape contractor with 10 acres that I have gardened on since 1978.
    I even have a few extra trees. :-)
    Welcome to Black Diamond....and the Conifer Forum.
    Mikebotann@gmail.com

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i bet a nickle the trees mike has.. you arent going to find in a bigboxstore ... i am envious ... lol ...

find a chaperone ... order up some muffins.. and GO SEE HIS PLACE ... if it werent a mere 2000 miles.. i would be camping there.. lol ... but watch out for the lizard plant ..... lol

ken

• Deborah Jarman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken,
    I just searched and found some photos of Mike's "paradise". WOW! Feel very fortunate to have connected with someone so talented, so close to home.
    Deborah

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH