Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leyland Cypress, partially uprooted

Posted by meadows 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 14:11

In our most recent wind storm several of our 9+ feet tall leyland cupress (planted 2 years ago) have become partially uprooted. Is there anything we can do to save these trees? We are in zone 6, Cape Cod, MA.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leyland Cypress, partially uprooted

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 15:04

Most woody nursery stock I see here is root-bound, from being left in small pots too long at some point in the production process. Fast-growing items like Leyland cypress are all the more likely to have serious defects. If yours are showing circling etc. roots that is why they fell over. You may have to start over with smaller replacement specimens that you have corrected the roots of yourself at planting time. Otherwise the best you can do is right the existing toppled ones and stake, tie them into position for a year, hope this is adequate.

This would not assure that even if rooting out and re-connecting with the soil within the next year they won't topple again later, perhaps when many times larger.

o

Thanks much bboy.

o

While it's partially up-rooted, cut any circling roots you find.

o

"While it's partially up-rooted, cut any circling roots you find"

Agree in principle, but probably too late by now - cutting the circling roots will likely kill the tree, as it won't have any other roots that aren't circling where they start out.

It comes down to a choice between a dead tree and one that will keep on falling over. Like bboy says, I'd start over.

Resin

o

Appreciate the responses. There are no circling roots. The trees have been staked for the winter and will be replaced in the Spring if necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here