Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcpotts_gw

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Goldilocks'

Mcpotts
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me the 10 year size and ultimate size of Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Goldilocks'. I have only found 30'x20' but I can't believe that my plants will ever reach that size. If I can, I will post a picture to make certain that it really is 'Goldilocks'. Thank you to everyone in advance.

Comments (5)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Goldilocks' doesn't exist, it's
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Goldilocks'

Hit a 'Goldilocks' picture at the first row and you'll find all the info you need...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Goldilocks' pics & info

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

see link.. note key words : annual growth rate ...

understand.. that all yellow versions are about the same ... within their growth category [see below regarding: intermediate size] ... in other words.. its going to be similar to aurea ...

link says 12 inches per year ...

go out to your plant.. look at the bark on this years growth.. probably greenish .. track back about 12 inches.. last years will be brownish.. and 3rd year back.. it will have more mature bark.. probably tending toward tannish [unless i have the backwards] ..

you now know the annual growth rate of your plant ...

as a tree.. it has the potential to grow at that annual growth rate.. well.. basically for the rest of your life ...

most ESTIMATED size GUESSES are at ten years.. so you will find tags and websites saying it will be 6 to 12 or so feet tall at maturity [there's that intermediate growth rate again] ... but they will also have the potential to be 20 feet in 20 years.. etc ...

using your observation of your tree.. in your garden.. you should be able to figure out what yours will do ... presuming it is not a recent transplant .. since that slows them down a bit at first ...

you have a plant.. that inside a decade are two.. is not going to be the cute little thing you bought.. do NOT plant it 3 feet from the house .. lol .. or learn how to prune it ...

good luck

ken

ps: paste this link.. and key in on the section on conifer sizes ... yours is definitely within the INTERMEDIATE size category .... [i have no clue what that page did to the word FEET ... turning it into this: â≢]:

http://www.conifersociety.org/cs2/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=3

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Mcpotts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got two responses to my question and now have the proper id for my plant. It is Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Stricta Lutescens' not 'Goldilocks' as shown on the nursery tag. It would seem not a plant in cultivation any more, at least not under that name. Thanks to everyone who helped me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

boy are you confusing me..

joy said the NAME is not pisifera.. its Cham OBTUSA Goldilocks .. meaning.. that is a proper name .. not necessarily your plant ...

i gave no name..

and you come up with pisifera 'Stricta Lutescens' .. where did that come from????

and to top it off.. your pic looks like a globosa form ... not similar to the pics at joys link ... its a ball/globe .. not upright.. in its current shape ....

what you are learning.. is that tags attached to a plant.. are only as good as the guy attaching them to the plant ... or his honesty ...

i wonder if there is a named version of globosa aurea ????

anyway.. we ought to get somewhere.. now that you have a picture ....

ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ken, the poster sent me an email with some pics of the specimen mentioned here.
    So it was me who said it's a Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Stricta Lutescens' which is a very old cultivar.
    Unfortunately it's renamed by a careless nurseryman into 'Goldilocks' for a commercial reason.
    By doing this there will be confusions like this one.
    We must try to avoid such situations so I'm glad that I helped the poster with the right identification...