Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus resinosa 'Aurea'

Posted by dcsteg 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 14:20

A cultivar you don't see on this forum.

I know Ken has one. It's been a few years back since I have seen his.

A good one for you whaas.

Dave

This cultivar grows in a formal pyramidal form. Needles are two-toned: bright greenish at the base, and golden-yellow at the tips. Bark on younger trunks is reddish-brown. Prefers sun/partial shade in well-drained soil. 7' tall x 3' wide in 10 years. Hardy to -50 degrees. USDA zone 2. Introduced in 1972 by Watnong Nurseries. White Plains N.J.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus resinosa 'Aurea'

Beautiful! Does the gold become more pronounced during winter or summer?
Thanks.

-Sam

o

interesting plant sure it will color up even more
over winter.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 16:14

Yeah, I like that one! I've yet to add a Pinus resinosa cultivar.

Its almost a consolation prize to 'Chief Joseph'. I'm waiting on that one until I see how some of my borderline cultivars do.

This is my first winter with conifers and its so refreshing to see these plants light up the landscape when everything else resembles a twig.

They are quite common and its a little underwhelming right now but I still love the colors. Tsuga canadensis 'Vermeulen Gold', 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid' and Firechief arborvitae.

Photobucket

o

Dave, I love it. It is so different as it seems the new growth is dark green while the older needs are golden yellow. Just the opposite of what you normally see. In the flower world it would be called a reverse bitone.

Thank you for posting what the zone hardiness is. Gorgeous!

o

P. resinosa is one of the least shade-tolerant pines there is. I wonder if they list partial shade tolerance as a means to enhance needle color, or retain same, as opposed to something the plant really likes.

+oM

o

i need a new pic of my tree ...

if the sun shines today ... i will try to get around to it ...

it will be a monster ...

ken

o

Mine gets about 4 hours of sun. It does quite well on that amount.

This pine has very little needle drop. What it shed this year I could hold in my hand.

It will color up some more. We have not had a hard freeze yet. This event usually sets the tone for finally coloring up.

A 1 gal. Stanley conifer about 8 years ago.

Dave

o
RE: older pix of Pinus resinosa 'Aurea'

supposed to be rainy .. cloudy and a typical NOV MI week.. so i dug up old pix ...

ken

nov 2006
Photobucket

dec 2007
Photobucket

nov 27 2008
Photobucket

Photobucket

may 2009
Photobucket

its like watching my children grow ... lol ...

o

Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 15:00

Your plant is quite consistent in habit and color to Dave's plant.

Surely on the wishlist now!

Is that your CJ to the left of the bottom pic?

o

no that is the dragon eye.. mrs cesarini.. which lost all its needles the first few years ... it is stunning now ..

if i figure out how to get pix from the camera.. to the laptop ... to this computer.. maybe i will post them .. the issue is getting the gamers to give me the laptop ...

ken

o

Very charming Pine ,even when it's green ! Anyone growing these in Europe??? T.

o

Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 20:02

Presto! How about that Ken?

Mrs

o

pix as of yesterday ...

ken
Photobucket

Photobucket

the orange stuff is taxodium roughage bet it would have been much yellower on a sunny day ... it was bright.. but rather over cast ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here