Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piningaway

Spruce, tamarack, or ?

PiningAway
10 years ago

I'm looking to plant conifers on my hillside property in El Dorado Hills, CA (Zone 9a), and am aiming for trees with relatively rapid growth that will achieve heights in excess of 50ft to screen out a large, 3-story house above me.

I've taken pictures of good looking specimens in two neighbors' yards, but unfortunately, aside from guessing "spruce" they can't tell me exactly what variety these trees are.

I spent a couple hours looking at images online trying to do my own IDs, and to my untrained eye, the first species, with its bunched, circular clusters of needles, looks a lot like the Western Larch ( Larix occidentalis ).
The second species, with fine, soft individually attached needles around the circumference of the branches, appears to be some sort of spruce, but I've been unable to narrow it down further.

My keyword searches of this forum didn't lead me to any answers, but did give me the impression that posters here are tremendously knowledgeable in such matters.

Could anyone help me ID these trees?
I'll try and attach my images in order, first the "larch" and then the "spruce": one close-up and long shot of each.

This post was edited by PiningAway on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 20:56

Comments (14)

• PiningAway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the long shot of what I'm calling the "Larch" - they're 50' plus and outgrowing same-aged Coastal Redwoods planted in the same privacy screen (hence my interest...)

• PiningAway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the closeup of what I'm calling the "spruce." The needles are finer and softer than most spruces I've seen (I'm merely an outdoors-enthusiast & homeowner w/ a garden, however, and make no pretense to any botanical expertise!)

This post was edited by PiningAway on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:49

• PiningAway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the "spruce" long-shot.
    These trees are ~30ft tall and planted in full sun in my neighbor's front yard.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

I would be surprised to see a healthy Spruce (Picea) or Larch (Larix) growing in your climate without endless irrigation.

You photo confirms that for me. You are looking at true Cedars (Cedrus). Needle distribution is superficially similar to Larch but evergreen and much better suited to hot dry summers.

• PiningAway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply smivies!
    On the first two pictures, you are undoubtedly right: the images I pulled up of cedrus needles are a spitting image.
    Question is, which species / variety / cultivar?
    Needle length and branch shape seem to point towards Atlas or Cedar of Lebanon.
    Can anyone help narrow this down further?

As for the second set of pictures I posted, those are different trees, with a completely different needle pattern.
    Can anyone help ID them?

This post was edited by PiningAway on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 20:55

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

If I were going to label your Cedars....the first set of photos with the longer needles might be C. deodara. The second set of photos look more like C. atlantica....if the yellow cast isn't photographer related, maybe C. atlantica 'Aurea'.

Matching your Cedars to web photos is not so straightforward at this time of year. Most of the web photos show fresh attractive color and graceful drooping branch tips....what they look like in summer. This time of year, the new growth has hardened off and appears stiffer....not as attractive and so fewer photos available to compare with.

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

all of them are C. deodara.... the fastest grower of the three.

osprey

• PiningAway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, consensus is pointing towards C. deodara.
    It's funny: I noticed the second group of cedars because at a distance they presented much like the first, but upon closer examination, it seemed such pronounced differences in needle length, thickness, color & configuration meant these were two different species altogether.

Question: are these differences due to these being different cultivars of deodara or something else like age? (The 2nd set of trees are roughly half the size of the first.)

As for photography, all four shots were taken with the same iPhone within 15 minutes & a half mile of each other under similar lighting conditions.
    In person, the big, 50'+ cedars in the first 2 shots also presented a lighter, yellowish green relative to the Costal Redwoods in the frame.

• PiningAway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Footnote on water & seasonal change: in a word, there hasn't been any to speak of around here.
    Temps have stayed in the 70s & 80s for the last 2 months.
    It has rained maybe two or three times since June. Lightly.
    Everything around here is irrigated.
    Nothing but the local Blue Oaks, Digger Pines & Toyon achieve any sort of size without serious irrigation here in the Sierra Foothills.

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

C. deodar is on of the most resilient species I know... they can tolerate heat/drought very well...
    Also, it happens to be one of the most variable species, imho..... Needle length, color, branch configuration, growing rates... even for specimens coming from the same parent tree... that, in my opinion, adds character to the species. I have never seen two specimens that look alike... perhaps similar.

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

C. deodar is on of the most resilient species I know... they can tolerate heat/drought very well...
    Also, it happens to be one of the most variable species, imho..... Needle length, color, branch configuration, growing rates... even for specimens coming from the same parent tree... that, in my opinion, adds character to the species. I have never seen two specimens that look alike... perhaps similar.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Getting by on minimum water and plenty of heat changes the character also. It's not all genetics.
    Mike

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Another ditto to Deodar Cedar

Resin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Indeed, Cedars grow very well around here!
    I'm in the foothills above Auburn, in the heart of Gold Country, and there are some impressive examples of several varieties.

Josh