Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmarker

The Tall, Skinny Ones

plantmarker
16 years ago

Hello Gurus of the Cone -

I need to get your recommendations for a dramatic, tall, narrow-growing conifer to place at the entry of my driveway in my Zone 7 garden in N.C. Space is not a limiting factor, neither width nor height. But, I thought this type of conifer would be quite interesting at the entrance.

I have been reading about Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow, 'van der Akker' and 'Moonshot'. If someone could compare these with one another for me, it would be most helpful in making my choice.

Also, please tell me about other cultivars which would serve me well.

If anyone has photos they can post, that would be awesome.

Many thanks!

PlantMarker

Comments (19)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Have you visited the Raulston Arboretum to see what looks good there? What will do well in your climate is an important consideration.

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I have.

Thanks!

PlantMarker

• karinl
    16 years ago

Can you grow Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendula'? If you want drama, there you go.

KarinL

• panserbjorn
    16 years ago

cedrus atlantica fastigiata, argentea fastigiata

Pinus reflexa vanderwolfs pyramid.

All large in time but more narrow than species. and narrow by any standard for some time.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

All quite large-growing. I've seen the pine as wide or wider than high, doubtless the 'Pyramid' part of the cultivar name is a hint.

• panserbjorn
    16 years ago

"All quite large-growing. I've seen the pine as wide or wider than high"

Ok, and in 100 years the cedar will have a trunk 3 or 4 feet thick. It's like the economist said (Keynes), 'in the long run we're all dead"

Many professionals advise contemplating 10 years of growth. Most people in the US switch residences in less than 8 years on average. The guy who buys your house will probably cut it down and plant a crappy crape myrtle anyway.

There is no sense at all in excluding something based upon an arboretum specimen 30, 40, 50 years old that would be too big for a spot, at least not in the context of a residential landscape.

Ill stand by my picks (especially in light of the fact that I initially disclosed their size). All are awesome.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Although it was stated space was not limiting it was also said it was at the entry of a driveway. It was not said how long the planting was supposed to be good for.

It's true that new owners are likely to make changes, but it is also true that it may not be necessary to leave a problem for them. It's also true that when a tree grows for 10 or 20 years and then is removed, all that time that could have been spent growing a nice specimen of something that would have remained in scale has been wasted.

Another thing to consider is that "overgrown" landscaping can make a property harder to sell.

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I guess when I mentioned "narrow-growing", major emphasis should have been placed on it. Even though space is not a limiting factor, a large area behind the selected cultivar will be a large, planting area, running the length of the driveway - perhaps 25' wide x 100' long. So, I do not want the selected, narrow conifer to be so wide as to hide what's behind it from the vantage point of someone entering the driveway.

As far as time, I've just moved into this home. The next home I move to will be the funeral home.

Regards!

PlantMarker

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Do Italian cypress grow there?

• panserbjorn
    16 years ago

Italian cypress (cupressus sempervirens) may not be cold hardy there. Seen any around? Most often listed as zone 8 i think. with the golden form supposedly less hardy z9.

What about a cultivated form of arizona cypress i.e., "carolina saphire". They grow very fast, stay pretty narrow. heres a pic of a generic seed grown plant.

{{gwi:794068}}

also cultivated form of juniperus virginiana is a possibility. Several tight forms available.

none as cool as the plants I listed first.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

'Carolina Sapphire' seen here have comparatively distinctive arching tips on nearly level branches, implying these may grow more broad than other cultivars with more usual upswept branching.

One I had going in Island County, WA got a bit wide for its height right away - before toppling over in snow on the bound roots that Arizona cypress (and other fast-growing conifers) sold here nearly always seem to have.

What conifers are native to your region? Any junipers? Maybe there is one of those sold there that would fit the bill.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Site at link below lists separate publications on pines and junipers. Austrian pine is one of those discussed. Fastigiate forms of that species are on the market. Eastern white pine is also mentioned. Its cultivar 'Fastigiata' makes a tall, dramatic specimen. Otherwise, possibly you would find one of the irregular or somewhat irregular Chinese juniper cultivars interesting. These will be of varying narrowness.

Eastern redcedar is mentioned as being native there and common - it might grow well on your site but it might also bore you. There is certainly a variety of cultivars to choose from. A silvery form seen mostly as comparatively old specimens here (PNW, SW BC) is actually quite picturesque - but not skinny.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCSU Publications > Lawn and Garden > Trees

• botann
    16 years ago

I have had a gold form of Italian Cypress ('Swain's Golden', by Monrovia) for about 10 years in a colder part of Zone 8. So far, so good. No damage other than it toppled over with a rootball like Bboy mentioned. That won't happen again. I'm on the lookout now.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

An unnatural overabundance of tall skinny conifers in prominent places can be damaging to the self-esteem of wider, stouter conifers. You might need to learn to appreciate the wide conifers because they are still beautiful tooÂ

I know thatÂs horrible but I couldnÂt resist - I recently read a news article on supermodels and popular imaging of beauty in the mediaÂ

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

To make the skinny ones stouter, fertilize with high fructose corn syrup.

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

But beware of extreme measures to accomplish vice versa  severely inhibiting nutrient uptake may cause an increase in needle drop/discoloration and while that may decrease thickness its unhealthy and results in a decline of general health and vigor. And drastic pruning measures done by "professionals" may look artificial and cause permanent scarring of the trunk and branches.

• zjones
    16 years ago

I grow C.n. Van Den Akker very well here in Nashville with supplemental water in hottest summer.I think it is the the narrowest of the forms you mention but I'm less familiar with Moonshot. You might look for C.n. Sparkling Arrow if you like the same tree with variegation and a bluish cast (wow!)- I have a small one given to me by a friend but I don't know if it's available on the market. To me, Green Arrow has a bit more width but still very (!) narrow.

You may also consider Picea glauca Pendula and Picea omorika Bruns Weeping - they are growing well here too. Picea abies Pendula as well as some of the German weeping cultivars are very narrow when staked up but I seem to find conflicting info from reliable sources about these cultivars (I think the encyclopedia says these came from P.a. Reflexa?)You have some very interesting choices here and these plants are so strict that you could place a variety in a small space to add interest - or plant three of one cultivar, varying heights. I've seen this done locally with both Green Arrow and Picea glauca Pendula to great effect.

Good luck!

Zack

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Varying the heights makes it look like it is a natural stand and is pleasing for that reason.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Chamaecyparis noot. 'Moon Shot' has a very subtle bluish cast but otherwise is wider (maybe a good choice) than 'Van Den Akker' or 'Green Arrow'

'Moon Shot'

'Green Arrow'

'Van Den Akker'

Others:
    Pinus nigra 'Arnold Sentinal' & 'Obelisk'
    Pinus strobus 'Stowe Pillar' (less prone to snow damage than 'Fastigiata' and won't become wide with age as it stays narrow.

Pinus strobus 'Pendula' as a staked single leader is fascinating. Stays narrow and upright. Gorgeous. Stake until it needs no help.

Dax