Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Organic' Picea pungens - Find

Posted by gardener365 IL 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 15:03

Decent tree, nothing to write home about, but worth grafting a few.

Picea pungens 7th Street Moline IL

Needles are noticeably longer than most pungens (can't see this in the photos) and the color (pic 3 is accurate color) is a good 8.5 with 10 being very best. This tree has two leaders, currently. It's a decent tree with weep to it.

Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Organic' Picea pungens - Find

Poor needle retention and lots of dead twigs in the lower crown - not sure it's worth grafting?

Resin

o

Major construction...... I grew up on that street and blocks away. About 3 summers ago the city forced the homeowners to give up their property/easement rights/I don't know- to construct 2 more lanes of traffic making it a 4-lane road. This tree is within feet of a large retaining wall that partitioned the construction and a new sidewalk in front of their homes... resulting in that tree taking a major hit. I've known about the tree for years- just got around to it today. It used to look better, much better.

Dax

o

Interesting, give it a shot and see what happens. I like the weeping forms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here