Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitya_gw

Pinus mugo 'Jacobsen Aurea Sport'?

Mitya
10 years ago

There is a picture Pinus mugo 'Jacobsen Aurea Sport'? Is there such a form?

Comments (21)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Dmitry, welcome to this forum.
    Were are you from?

I've never seen a yellow mutation on a Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen' (not 'Jacobsen').
    However I came across a variegated one and one with a cristate mutation.

Can you show us that picture you're talking about?

• kmanzfive laknee
    10 years ago

Coniferjoy--can you show us of the variegated cristate mutation...sounds very interesting!!!!!!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Kevin, I didn't say it was a variegated cristate form, I said that I'm familiar with a variegated form and a cristate form of this cultivar, these are two separate plants.
    However, I hope to find one some day with both characteristics together! :0)

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the variegated one yet, but I know where I can take one next year.
    For the cristate one I've to ask permission first to show it here at this forum.
    This is because it was discovered recently ago...

I also remember one with a creamy new growth in spring which will revert back to green when the needles are getting hardened off.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Severn, I put your link here in an easier way.

A simular one I found by myself here at my nursery which has a creamy new growth in spring.
    It looks to me that the one at this pic also reverts back to green after a while, the older needles are showing a green colour.
    This could mean that the 'Jakobsen' isn't very stable and mutations of it will show up every once and a while...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Jakobsen Aurea'

• severnside
    10 years ago

Hi Edwin

It would be interesting to know if it was bought as Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen Aurea' as that would suggest a mother plant. So little publicity of a marketed special plant though is a doubt.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

The cultivar names 'Jakobsen Aurea Sport' or 'Jakobsen Aurea' are never possible.
    This is because the 'Jakobsen' itself was found in 1987 and 'Aurea' is a Latin name which can only be used if this conifer was found before 1959.
    'Jakobsen's Golden' would fit much better for this branch mutation.

Unfortunately there's no furthur info to be found about it at the internet.
    It's possible that the one at the pic is the original plant.
    If this is the case it takes a very long time before it will availlable in the trade.
    This is because the 'Jakobsen' is a very slow grower which produces only a few scions per year...

• Mitya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help! Me confused, that this grade offer in the catalog, where industrial grades of thujas.
    Unfortunately nursery not known as they are offered by the intermediary in Moscow.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

wonder... without a pic... how it might compare to P mugo Aurea ...

IF!!!! ... that is a correct name ... [i am sorry joy.. i just dont keep up with all the correct names, forgive me]

per chance.. we might be getting wrapped up in the Jakobsen part ... when we have no info on why the catalog/website maker.. inserted that info ...

ken

• Mitya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken!
    Unfortunately in Russia many firms hide nurseries where there are purchases and it is necessary to buy in blind, according to the catalog. In catalogs simply give the name, without photos and the description. Usually I don't buy from them, but this position here interested.

• severnside
    10 years ago

Take a gamble if it's not too expensive for you. Might turn up something interesting. If it's not true to life then you will at least have a yellow mugo or a standard 'Jakobsen'.

This post was edited by severnside on Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 13:50

• Mitya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to take at once, despite risk. It would be desirable certainly that there would be no regrade. Because when in a garden over one hundred grades coniferous, already each regrade this superfluous.

• severnside
    10 years ago

Great. Please post a picture of your plant when it comes and also your garden sounds very good, maybe some winter pictures.

• Mitya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a young garden, it is 5 years old. And yet that especially to show ⦠The majority of plants of Europe, other part is a sweeper found me or my friends.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dmitry, from who do you buy your plants from Europe?
    Can you show us some photos of your garden in a new topic?
    Thanks in advance!

• Mitya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The main purchases I did in two firms, in yours and Kogouta.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Dmitry, now I know who you're!
    It's a small (conifer) world after all :0)

Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen' with the cristate mutation.

• Mitya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Probably Russian colleagues told or according to photos in coniferous WB. :-)

I congratulate, I hope that it is mutation to be fixed and you receive a new clone.
    I consider Jakobsen as one of unique grades and I hope that it will be perspective and for my works with mutagens.

• Ellen Smart
    5 years ago

I have a P. mugo Jakobsen with creamy new growth this year. Will take a picture and post. I am in Ridgefield, WA, USA

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    5 years ago

This happens a lot with this cultivar. It's never been proven to be a stable mutation. Maybe you have the winner.