Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

Picea smithiana 'Sunray'

bluespruce53
11 years ago

Growing here at Foxhollow, nice and compact right now, but sure to grow away a lot stronger once it's got it's feet into the ground..

Comments (27)

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Beautiful plant Stephen! Sure goes perfectly with the omorika in the back. I love the himalayan conifers. Have you propagated yet?

Fotis

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got one other plant in a container Fotis, will post a pic soon

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Boy that is a choice conifer Stephen.

Will it burn?

Any height/width size for 10 years?

Thanks,

Dave

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

THAT plant is Uber! Cheers to growers and propogators all over the world, they make the world a brighter place!

-Will

• Cher
    11 years ago

That is one gorgeous conifer. Love the fullness and how it drapes to the ground. Fantastic addition to your gardens.
    Cher

• severnside
    11 years ago

Once in a while someone hits the magic button with a wow specimen perfectly caught pic and everyone's in concert with their adoration.

Add me, I love these moments.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Most definitely a perfect little specimen. So well taken care of as well.

Do weeds even grow in the UK? I could have swore I saw them the last time I was there!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

It's like it's half pine, half spruce and half fir...ok, my math isn't so good. The plant, however, is a dandy.

tj

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful plant!
    It must be shared with the U.S. soon!

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Please keep in mind that Picea smithiana isn't hardy enough for every location...zone 6.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Please keep in mind that Picea smithiana isn't hardy enough for every location...zone 6"

Zone 8 actually; marginal in zone 7 with only the coldest origins successful in zone 7. Same as for Cedrus deodara and Pinus wallichiana.

Resin

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Thanks Resin, I found my info in the book "The World Checklist of Conifers" written by Welch & Haddow.

Stephen, also in this case your friend isn't very reliable ;0

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What friend is that then Edwin ? ;0)

• Mcpotts
    11 years ago

We grow Picea smithiana and it is doing well in our zone 7a in Va.

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"We grow Picea smithiana and it is doing well in our zone 7a in Va"

How old is it, and what's the most severe winter it's been through? Unless it is one of the hardier far northwestern origins, you'll likely lose it when a very bad winter comes along. I've seen them killed in a severe winter in zone 7 when it went below -25ðC.

Resin

• Mcpotts
    11 years ago

Resin,
    Last winter was the warmest I can remember. We have had it since 2006 and it has been through a snowy winter but has not sustained temps below low teens. Thats a guess really

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the other 'Sunray' I have potted up into a 12 litre container, was a sales plant, but getting a little large to send via the post, so collection only ;o)

• fotisr
    11 years ago

There it is! I saw a leaf on your grass, Stephen! I knew foxhollow isn't perfect!!! LOL!

Well if you are willing to ship it to Greece, I'm taking it off your hands, like... yesterday! Edwin has sent me bigger plants. I think it's doable. Please think about it and let me know... No hard feelings if you hesitate to do so! :)

Best regards,
    Fotis

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm happy to ship it to Greece Fotis, if you're willing to pay for it, it's a heavy old thing, leave it with me and I'll get back to you with the costs involved, if you change your mind no problem..

• severnside
    11 years ago

That'll look great in your garden Fotis, dooo it!

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

The lucky inhabitants of warm lands! My zone is 5-6:(

What a beautiful plant!!!!!! What a shame ....

Ireena

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Dave, missed your comment ...
    Not sure what the ten year height would be, my guess is around 5 feet ? .. It doesn't burn at all in our climate either.

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

This is such a gorgeous tree - I would love to see a large specimen of this one!

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Richard (sprucebud) I found only 3 images online from this plant. It was Stephen's, Edwin's and yours from 2008 (actualy 4, it is a small graft from Nate as well). Do you still have your 'Sunray'? Do you have a recent image for us to admire?

Best regards,
    Fotis

• warsawyak
    9 years ago

Picea smithiana can be succesfully grown in Poland, so it's not that tender.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea smithiana in Poland

• clement_2006
    9 years ago

I have 1, but not in full sun, by this way, not very yellow.
    Clement