Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Which Taxodium cultivars should I be growing?

unprofessional
10 years ago

Aside from 'Peve Minaret,' what are some choice cultivars? Are any of the species hybrids hardy to Michigan winters?

Picture proof is appreciated!

Comments (17)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Out of my area of "expertise" I might say but.

What size are you going for? hort.uconn lists "Monarch of Illinois" as a large and wide cultivar and 'Shawnee Brave' as tall and narrow.

From left field I will say plant a metasequoia near by.

-appearance wise they are similar. Others can comment on the genetics

-at MOBOT and some other botanical gardens I see they were planted near each other as if conducting some test of tolerances or growth rate

I would guess growth will be about the same in zone 5. Here I think metasequoia usually wins.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest Farm sells a few different ones.

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my Peve Yellow. I'm not far from you in Ohio.

Frank

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

'Cave Hill' is outstanding..

Also, 'Lyndsey's Skyward', 'Falling Waters' and 'Crazy Horse'...

• blue_yew
    10 years ago

Jason

Do you have a photo of 'Lyndsey's Skyward'?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

whatever you can find available. within your budget .... you have the space ...

whats the use of getting a list of names you cant find???

ken

• abciximab
    10 years ago

Come on Ken...Taxodium cultivars aren't hard to find.

unprofessional, How much space do you have? How many cultivars are you looking for? Are you looking for large trees? 'Lyndsey's Skyward' is a newer cultivar. It's a narrow columnar tree. Some other cultivars to consider:
    'Little Leaf'
    'Secrest'
    'Twisted Logic'
    'Cody's Feathers'
    'Crazy Horse'
    'Cave Hill'
    'Hursley Park'

I also think the foliage of Taxodium ascendens is appealing.

Patrick

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have more space than I know what to do with. Small & columnar will be put in the show pond near the house, big ones throughout the property - I have another creek/ravine/pond that will need to be properly accentuated with good trees. Do you have 'Little Leaf'? It looks interesting.

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of 'Lyndsey's Skyward' that I took while on a garden tour in Columbus, Ohio last Sept.

Frank

• ogcon
    10 years ago

What....?No mention of 'Cascade Falls'?Left unstaked and sprawing maybe the best of the group.
    Also try 'Peve Minaret' with laterals pruned to a few inches
    length....fits into about any tight space and produces leader heighth much more quickly.I think it also pushes aerial roots
    at a younger age if you think they add interest....I do.Doug

• gardener365
    10 years ago

The only ones I'm growing and I have (7) of them is 'Mickelson' "aka stolen name (Shawnee Brave TM)"

Dax

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Lyndsey's Skyward looks interesting.

I have a dwarf BC that is not available for sale. Jim's Little Guy

• noki
    10 years ago

Since you have space... why not just have a selection of seedling trees? Then you will get a natural variation in shapes and branching. There is nothing wrong or inferior with the natural tree. And they might grow faster than grafts.

• abciximab
    10 years ago

Nice trees lou! I have a few 'Jim's Little Guy' growing myself.

I'd prob pass on the 'Jim's Little Guy' because it's similar and habit to 'Peve Minaret' that unprofessional already has...slower growing though.

'Mickelson' aka 'Shawnee Brave' is a ngreat tree! Nice trees Dax!

While thinking of narrower varieties...Taxodium ascendens 'Prairie Sentinel' came to mind. It's a nice tree too!

Patrick

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cheers, all.

For your efforts, I'm attaching a picture of the awesome chicken I roasted yesterday. POTATOES, TOO!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

You have to step up your game on the chicken.

Next time we want to see something like Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Lemon White Wine Sauce to reward the new bald cypress cultivars you plant this spring.

• steg
    10 years ago

Did anybody else read Lyndsey's Skyward as Lynyrd Skynyrd? I'd buy one just for the name.

Add a vote for 'Cascade Falls'. I have two that I'm training into an arch. They're looking cool now that the fall color has arrived and that they've been in the ground for 3 or 4 years now. Will get a picture up soon.

• steg
    10 years ago

Taxodium distichum 'Cascade Falls'