Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If I want blue/silver blue juniper - Chip or Rug?

Posted by oakrunfarm 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 15:50

I've got a space about 3 or 4' deep and about 12' wide between a raised open gazebo/pavilion and a low brick retaining wall. (The gazebo is on a higher elevation, and so the top of the brick wall is only a few inches above ground level.)

On either side of the gazebo at the ends of this space, there are 4-5' pencil hollies.

I would like to put a few blue-colored junipers in that space, and hope that they will grow to fill the area, plus cascade down over the wall to the concrete pool deck below.

What I would really prefer is one that is as blue or silvery-blue as possible that stays relatively close (1' or less) to the ground.

I have been looking at Blue Chip and Blue Rug and can't seem to make up my mind. Or is there a better choice?

Thank you! (I am not sure if my image will show up, but here is the link.)

[URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2748607450059344087cUECdO][IMG]http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/6/7/45/2748607450059344087cUECdO_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If I want blue/silver blue juniper - Chip or Rug?

Rats. Trying again...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gazebo area

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 16:13

I like the blue rug, it will get 7-8 feet long in time.
It is easy to control also, prune back from the tips as you would a tree limb.

o

Thanks!

o

might not be as blue as you wish .. in that much shade ...

where you are might make a difference also ...

small plants are rather cheap... plant multiples.. should you wish to cover ground faster ...

ken

o

Juniperus horizontalis 'Monber' - Icee Blue Juniper is my recommendation. I have 5 and the tallest of any is about 4 inches. Also maintains pretty good blue color in partial shade. I think Monrovia is the sole source wholesaler so you may need to locate a retailer who purchases from them.

Marshall

o

Thank you. I really DO want it as blue as possible due to some surrounding blue tones (bluestone pool coping, Pebbletec in pool), so that's important.

We bought some taller "blue" conifers from a Monrovia dealer, but they did not have any Juniper ground cover, so I will check around.

Thanks again. :)

o

the next month or so.. is when local high end dealers.. make their orders for late winter/early spring delivery ...

so now is the time to visit with a manager .. and speak directly with whomever orders in stock ...

check out the link .... if you wish to go cheaper, in volume ...

i wouldnt get too tied up in the name game.. any blue creeper is probably going to be blue enough for you .... sometimes the old standards are better than the newer ones anyway.. that is why they have been around forever .... so i would go on height, if that is the secondary important part ... in other words.. dont focus solely on color.. lets say that part is a given ...

they will all grow in some shade ... but they ALL PREFER full sun ... the only impact is a slower growth rate.. and perhaps the intensity of spring coloration .... or not.. we really can not predict.. with any certainty.. how it will all work out in your project ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here