Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kashmir Deodar Cedar

Posted by gpaciotti none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:03

Hello Everyone,

I have a beautiful Kashmir Deodar Cedar. I just notice that a portion of the trunk has about a 2 inch split oozing clear sap. Is this a concern? As always thank you for you help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kashmir Deodar Cedar

A split oozing resin is never good, but how bad is a matter of proportion. If on a 1 foot tree, yipes. If on a 30 foot tree, not so bad. Any pix?

tj

o

Too dark for a pic now but the tree is about 16 feet in height. Any idea of what caused this and what may happen? Thanks.

o

any significant weather blow thru??

split vertically or horizontally???

where are you????

looking forward to pic

ken

o

Thanks for the input. I've attached a photo and maybe am making a big deal out of nothing. I may have mistaken the sap for a split but I am attaching a pic to be sure. Next post, as I can only post 1 photo, will post a pic of the tree. Thanks again for all the help. G

o

Here is a picture of the tree. Thanks again.

o

It looks to me like there was just a small wound from which the sap is draining down.
This sap is a defense mechanism to prevent disease from entering the wound. Doesn't look too bad to me..

-Sam

o

Ditto to Sam, except it is resin (a natural wound sealant), not sap.

o

Phew and thanks everyone. Have a great weekend and holiday season. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here