Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do you confirm this?

Posted by linus7 Z9PtSWEurope (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 16:09

A Picea abies found at Fulufjallet Natural Park, Dalarna (Sweden), "has become" the oldest tree in the planet with over 9500 years old?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do you confirm this?

I looked into this a year or two ago when the report came out amid a huge PR campaign. The ancient tree is of clonal origin, probably from layered branches held against moist ground by snowpack, serially from generation to generation. I forget its age, but it is nothing unusual. There is root material however that carbon-dated out to the reported figure.
It's a matter of definition of what constitutes a tree, as I pointed out in "The Bristlecone Book". If a tree is defined as being a trunk with its own root system standing where the seed germinated, then the oldest bristlecone is still the oldest tree. This spruce would have to compete with other clones, one of which has worked out to over 40,000 yrs. Get my 2007 book for more. It's cheap.

o
RE: do you confirm this?

• Posted by linus7 Z9PtSWEurope (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 17:55

I will. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here