Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurac_gw

Serbian Spruce recovery from salt spray

Laurac
9 years ago

Hi,
I have several Serbian Spruce trees that were planted December 2013 about 30' from a road. Over half of the trees have issues like in the picture and I was told this was the result of the excessive salt that was used during last winter (pretty extreme snowfall). Is there a chance that the lower branches will fill in again or are they dead? I have close up pictures of the lower branches if that will help.

This is my first time posting here, so I appreciate any help!!
Laura

Comments (16)

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

They never regenerate.

Cut out all dead branches.

As the tree ages the lower branches may drop down several feet to cover some of the loss.

Otherwise they look healthy.

Dave

• Laurac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave! I was afraid of that.

I appreciate the quick reply!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

large transplant.. large transplant shock ...

MOST LIKELY ... imho ... injury at digging from the field ...

perhaps some better watering might have helped .... but!!!!

extremely healthy growth above ...

did the guy who said salt.. offer to sell you replacements????

they were sheared for nice xmas tree shape at point of sale.. unfortunately ... that isnt their normal growth pattern ... they will outgrow it over the years .. note how the top growth is more natural ...

where in MI ... i am down in adrian

ken

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Remove the dead stuff, though don't cut off the branches that still have some green remaining on them, as in three or four years time, you might be surprised by how much they've again filled back in ... your patience will be rewarded I'm sure.

• Laurac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all!
    Actually, they are still under warranty and the seller is insisting it was salt spray that damaged them. I am fearing that he is just selling me a line so he doesn't have to replace so many trees. The pic was not the worst of them, unfortunately, I uploaded another example but 3 have died. Of course, if they could recover, I would have rather just left them be.

Since I know little about trees, I had asked about watering and protecting them through the first winter especially, and he told me it wasn't necessary (contrary to what he is saying now). They looked really bad in late spring so I started watering them at that time.

I'm up near Oxford, a little ways away!
    Laura

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Okay, this one does look especially bad, this tree needed to have the soil brought up higher around It so the burlap would not be showing as it is on this one side.

• Laurac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks twrosz.. I questioned it and the seller said it didn't matter because these trees are very tolerant .. so frustrating. I can't believe this is what my trees look like after spending so much.

• Laurac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks twrosz.. I questioned it and the seller said it didn't matter because these trees are very tolerant .. so frustrating. I can't believe this is what my trees look like after spending so much.

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

If it was salt spray I would think only the exposed side to the road would be affected from top to bottom.

I suspect you are a victim of a poor dig and re-transplant. If the root balls weren't intact when planted, broken by ms-handling, I would be surprised. I don't know when they were planted but they needed to be watered until the ground freezes over. He gave you bad information on watering. That should be on him..

If you paid by credit card then you chances are good for a refund especially if his business is big enough to use this convenient resource. GO for a complete replacement and replant in the Spring. If not then press him with the warranty and read the fine print...If that doesn't work call your county extension agent to have a look and diagnose the problem. You need a professional to give you some help to go after this guy.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i changed my mind... what dave said ...

the first isnt that bad ...

i would suggest... and sometimes this works... to go with smaller replacements ... they dig easier.. transplant easier.. and take much less stress ... and recover faster ...

and he might be more interested in replacement ... with smaller stock ... and you will be further ahead ...

watering on a slope is VERY HARD ... you might want to think about an irrigation line if a water source is near... and i am not talking about those carp weeper hoses ...

ken

• Laurac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice Dave and Ken!
    It is a smaller family owned business and I have an appointment with him in a week. I'm really hoping he takes care of this, it looks terrible. My rainbow pillar serviceberry bushes don't look great either, as you can see. I had installed an irrigation line in the late spring (although they're also watered by my sprinklers) and set it on a timer to ensure frequent/ sufficient watering because of the slope. Going with smaller trees is certainly an option for me, thanks for the suggestion!

laura

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

Did the planter leave all of the burlap on? I'd think at least the top third should have been removed at planting.

Barb

• arktrees
    9 years ago

In the second picture, on top of the burlaped root ball, there is a thin green line which suggested not only was the burlap was not removed, but the nylon cord holding the burlap was not removed. This would have eventually killed the trees 5-6 years down the line. So he would then get to replant and charge you for them all over again. I think we see his business model. Typical.

Typical "landscaper = monkey with a shovel". Does he wear a t-shirt that says "I plant $#!^ !!!"

Arktrees

• Laurac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Barb and Arktrees,
    Yes the full burlap was left on. When I questioned it he said the roots would grow through it - the burlap would disintegrate. Are you saying this isn't the case?

Gosh I feel like such a fool...
    Laura

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

Laura:

The landscaper that planted these trees did a poor job in my opinion. I'm sure you paid a great deal of money to have quality trees, and obviously that's not what you have here.

In general, I believe that smaller trees will establish more quickly than a larger tree, as was stated above. A 5-foot tree often establishes faster than a 10-foot tree so my advice would be in the future to go with the smallest tree you are comfortable with. I've seen many people on here and in my local area buying large trees and end up having all kinds of problems with them.

I'm posting a link which Ken often posts. The information here is very good. Before you have your trees replaced, I suggest you read this information regarding best practices for planting trees. Information, along with your warranty, should get thos trees replaced if your landscaper is a reputable businessman.

Hope this helps.

TYG

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Planting

• StGuaposFire
    9 years ago

If the burlap is a natural material the roots will grow through it and the burlap will disintegrate over time, but some places use a plastic mesh burlap that doesn't break down. You can easily tell by feeling it. I think if that is a nylon cord in the picture around the burlap that that is a much bigger problem than the burlap itself remaining entirely on.