Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Picea x mariorika cultivar naming question

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

I enjoyed the 'Sunray' photo so much that I was looking around for other pictures, and I came across Will's thread from a few years back (linked below), chock full of great photos. Will is treating us to photos of some of his less common species.

Edwin, you commented "Will, your Picea x mariorika 'Machala' and 'Glauca' are the same one.", and I wanted to ask for clarification. Did you mean that this is another case where a given clone has two names, or did you mean that one of his plants is mis-labeled?

I have both of these and never suspected they were the same, but if they are I'd like to get them properly labeled. Thanks, as always, for your help with cultivar nomenclature!

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea species & cultivars, rare/unusual Photo Gallery 2010

Comments (17)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, I ment to say that this clone has 2 names.
    The true one given to it is 'Machala', there's no such thing named 'Glauca' for this cross...
    I can imagine that the 'Glauca' was named for it's very nice blue colour.

On the other hand Picea mariorika is a cross between Picea mariana and Picea omorika.
    However, this cultivar doesn't show characteristics of both species...

If possible I would like to see pics of both your specimens.
    Then it's possible for me to help you in a better way.
    Thanks!

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

A close up of the plant showed under Picea mariorika "Glauca" are interesting because I'm not sure it's a Picea mariorika.
    For remember Picea jezoensis "Chitosemaru" are a picea glehnii.= Picea glehnii "Chitosemaru"
    Clement

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I'm back with some pics I took just now.

First, here's Picea x mariorika 'Glauca'. Obtained from Coenosium Gardens in 2009.

And next, here's Picea x mariorika 'Machala', obtained from Stanley and Sons in 2010.

Will, if you're here, maybe you could jump in with photos of some larger plants. Far as I can tell, my plants appear to be the same selections as yours, respectively. 'My 'Machala' was grown in part shade in the container shown; 'Glauca' gets full sun.

I'm really interested to see what you guys think.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 10:39

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I'm not going to say anything towards the identity of this plant, but I'm going to bump it back up to the top, so more people will see your post.

-Sam

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

In my opinion, it's 2 different plants, the plant named "Glauca" are more erect, and have a needles arrangment different also
    "Machala" are a mounding plant and make a leader after long time.
    Now I have 2 question:
    I'm curious to know if it's well 2 cultivars of Picea mariorika ?? and if "Glauca" are availlable in Europe, I'm interested for 1 plant.
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Searching work in my books and by internet brings me to not a single hit for Picea x mariorika 'Glauca'.
    There's even nothing listed under this name by Bob Fincham himself.
    I guess Bob is the only here who can help you out for the right name of your specimen.

It buds are more like Picea pungens to me...

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Picea mariorika foliage.

Picea mariorika "Machala" foliage.

Completely different.
    Clement

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Clement is right with these pics.
    In his specimen of the true cross Picea x mariorika both parents are visuable. (Picea mariana and Picea omorika)

However, in the cultivar 'Machala' both parents aren't visuable which is very strange...

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Yes Edwin it's right,the finer foliage of Picea mariana with the white colour of Picea omorika at underside needles.
    Clement

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Hello, didn't see this post, the forums have been buzzing lately, a great thing!

As I recall from past talks, Bob Fincham has told me they are the same plant, 'Glauca' and 'Machala' and thus should be called 'Machala' and 'Glauca' probably should not be used.

I would love to get to the bottom of this definitively as well though, with origins, etc.

What I can share from the recent and most excellent RHS Conifer Encyclopedia:

Picea x mariorika 'Machala' (syn. 'Compacta') A spreading flattened globe, slow-growing plant with silver-white to grey-blue needles. In ten years 60 X 100 CM. Found before 1963 as a seedling by Frantisek Machala in the Conifer Nursery Zehusice, Czech Republic. Originally distributed as Picea omorika 'Compacta'.

Additional potential cultivars of x mariorika it mentions includes:

'Gnom'
    'Kobald'
    'Tremonia'

For what it's worth, I have three or more specimens of 'Machala', one was listed as 'Glauca' the other two as 'Machala'. Unfortunately and potentially adding to the confusion, they do look a little bit different!

Bought as 'Glauca'. I won't list it as such as no evidence to this plants existence/origins have been confirmed.

'Machala' (Coenosium Gardens source)

'Machala' (Stanley and Sons, Larry Stanley source)

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The one which Alex obtained as 'Glauca' isn't the same one as 'Machala'.

The 'Machala' does have smooth pointed buds while Alex's 'Glauca' buds are obtuse with an extra circle of scales around it.

Strange, I'm still waiting for Bob's comment...

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In my post on Saturday, I accidenally posted one of the 'Machala' pics twice. I just used the new "edit" feature to fix that, so there's now an additional photo there.

I sent Bob an e-mail about this, and hopefully he'll have some information to share.

Interestingly, Bob's plant list does have separate listings for the two. He's got three 'Machala's and one 'Glauca', as well as two 'Gnome's and a 'Kobol' to round out the mariorikas at his pinetum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's plant list

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Yes, damage he don't made some correction,always I read :
    Picea jezoensis "Chitosemaru "and "Yosawa" but the name are Picea glehnii "Chitosemaru " and Picea glehnii "Yosawa"
    And any information about Picea mariorika.
    Clement

• bobfincham
    11 years ago

They are definitely two distinct plants. The mariorika 'Glauca' originated with an European source. I've had it almost 15 years and had forgotten about it until a few years ago when it caught my eye. It is quite attractive and nice and blue. Hybrids can be difficult to distinguish so I just go by the name I was given. I don't know the history behind it and haven't seen it in any lists.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt321/bobfincham/PicMariorikaGlaucaGW.jpg

The 'Machala' is very different and the color is not as striking. The growth habit differs and the needles appear different from 'Glauca'.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt321/bobfincham/PicMariorikaMachalaGW.jpg

• bobfincham
    11 years ago

'Glauca'

'Machala'

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Nice plants, Mr. Fincham. They are indeed two distinct cultivars.
    Considering the fact that they are both derived from seed, some degree of genetic difference would be apparent. This would cause these plants to have different features while both still being Picea x mariorika...

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Furthur research brought me to the Horstmann Nursery in Germany.
    They had a 'Glauca' listed but I think they don't have it in their collection anymore.

On the other hand it was Mr. Machala himself who said that his 'Machala' was found as a chance seedling out of a Picea jezoensis which probably crossed with another Picea species growing nearby.
    Clement, this can explain why the 'Machala' doesn't look like a cross between P. mariana and P. omorika...