Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmanzfive

Most rare conifer in your collection

kmanzfive laknee
14 years ago

Just curious to find out what you may think is the most rare conifer in your collections. Also why you believe so. Is it because its hard to graft or root. Is it so tiny its a pain in but to graft?

Mine would be either Tsuga canadensis 'Walter Billings' or Tsuga canadensis 'Verkade's Yellow Seedling # 1' I've been to plenty of conifer/collector gardens, etc., and only seen them in one garden. There is no info on them anywhere. In my opinion truly a collectors item. Worth the hunt if you got plenty of time.

Comments (84)

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

PlantMarker, I bought it was a stock plant from Larry Stanley. I believe he has grafts, but S&S is wholesale so you'd need a business or to make a large order.

-Will

• ospreynn
    14 years ago

P. engelmannii should be perfectly hardy, I know for sure they take -20C to -25C in Chihuahua. The other should depend on origin. Do you happen to have P. maximartinezii and nelsonii?. I believe they are hardier than most people think, and even more if they are grown under conditions similar to mine.

osprey

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Pinus maximartinezii is not very hardy at all; plants tried even in the warmest parts of Britain were killed by as little as -5°C.

Pinus nelsonii is much hardier, and is hardy (so far) at RBG Edinburgh, Scotland:
    {{gwi:637717}}

Resin

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

It could be shorter growing season and less summer heat in the UK contributing to make P. nelsonii fail in winter..

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Mike, Terry's Variegated is as rare as hen's teeth but look for it at Whistling Gardens in the next few years!

Dax

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Not living: Slightly mineralized Metasequoia from glacial deposits in the arctic - about 40 million years old (give or take a few million)

Living: Agathis alba, Acmopyle pancheri, A. sahniana, Calocedrus rupestris, Cupressus dupreziana, C. gigantea, Araucaria muelleri, Pinus luzmariae, Pinus pinceana, Juniperus barbadensis var. lucayana, Retrophyllum minus, R. comptonii, R. rospigliosii...and a few I shouldn't mention.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

I'm not sure how "rare" it is, but I recently purchased a Microcachrys tetragona, which is at the least rather uncommon, for a mixed conifer container planting. And I was sorely tempted by a Diselma archeri yesterday, which the van Gelderen/van Hoey Smith text decribes as "extremely rare" and not in cultivation (which it obviously is) but questioning the amount of sunlight I have available for it. I may still get it and plant in a container for my very sunny driveway, the only place I receive more than a just a couple hours of sun. Great textural plant!

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

A couple of recent pics of my Pinus maximartinezii.....

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

Below is a list of southern hemisphere conifers that I propagate which may be unfamiliar to a lot of northern hemisphere collectors. All are worthy additions to any collection and my pride and joy is a specimen of Phyllocladus hypophyllus from Borneo and New Guinea.You have no idea how hard this was to come by. Propagation of it can be difficult from cuttings but now I have managed to strike a couple. Surprisingly it can handle moderate frosts down here in Tasmania.

Actinostrobus pyramidalis
    Actinostrobus arenarius
    Afrocarpus gacilior
    Agathis australis
    Agathis robusta
    Agathis microstachya
    Araucaria araucana

Araucaria angustifolia

Araucaria bidwillii
    Araucaria columnaris
    Araucaria cunninghamii
    Araucaria heterophylla
    Araucaria subulata
    Athrotaxis cupressoides
    Athrotaxis laxifolia
    Athrotaxis selaginoides
    Austrocedrus chilensis
    Callitris oblonga
    Cephalotaxis fortunei
    Cryptomeria japonica
    Cunninghamia lanceolata
    Dacrycarpus dacrydoides
    Dacrydium cupressinum
    Diselma archeri
    Fitzroya cupressoides
    Ginko biloba
    Lagarostrobus franklinii
    Lepidothamnus laxifolia
    Lepidothamnus laxifolia "glauca"
    Libocedrus bidwilli
    Libocedrus plumosa
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides
    Microcachrys tetragona
    Microstrobus fitzgeraldiii
    Microstrobus niphophilus
    Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
    Phyllocladus alpinus
    Phyllocladus glaucus
    Phyllocladus "Cockaynes Blue"
    Phyllocladus trichomanoides
    Phyllocladus hypophyllus
    Pilgerodendron uviferum
    Podcarpus gracilior
    Podocarpus hallii
    Podocarpus henkelii
    Podocarpus lawrencii
    Podcarpus macrophyllus
    Podocarpus nivalis
    Podocarpus nubigenus
    Podocarpus salignus
    Podocarpus totara
    Prumnopitys andina
    Prumnopitys ferruginea
    Prumnopitys ferruginoides
    Prumnopitys taxifolia
    Saxegothae conspicua
    Widdringtonia nodiflora
    Widdringtonia cederbergensis

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Wonderful collection, tasmanii !!

....would LOVE to see some photos !!

Thnx

Jaro

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

G'Day Jaro,

As soon as I work out how to upload pics to the forum I will put some on.

Cheers from Tasmania

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Great !!
    ....unfortunately we can't "upload pics to the forum" -- we have to upload them somewhere else (for example photobucket), and then use the html link to the image to display it here.
    Very awkward, but that's what we all do....
    Good luck !

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

Sounds all a bit complicated to me. I will have a go at it but it may be easier for me to email them to you.
    Cheers

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

Rare for my area. Unique in my opinion as it is sheared for the look. No other mugo that I know of is cared for this way.

In Europe probably plentiful.

Dave Pinus mugo 'Tyrolean'
    {{gwi:775240}}

• salicaceae
    13 years ago

Tasmanii,

Nice collection. I have seen P. hypophyllus in 2 collections here, but you are right - it is very rare and hard to get.

Dacrydium nausoriense is likely the rarest in my collection - though D. elatum, Calocedrus rupestris and Araucaria muelleri are all good contenders.

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

G'Day Salicaceae,
    Yes I am pretty intrigued with the whole genus which I am fortunate enough to have. Have never heard of Dacrydium nausoriense, sounds like I should have it. Our iconic Huon Pine (Lagarostrobus franklinii) was once assigned to this genus. Just received seed of Araucaria nemerosa, rulei, scopulorum, laubenfelsii, montana and luxurians in recent times which I am over the moon about especially given that A laubenfelsi, rulei and nemerosa have began to germinate. I collect seed of most of what I grow so if you see anything of interest let me know as I may have or be able to get seed of them when available.
    Cheers
    Tasmanii

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

Tasmanii

Is prumnopitys ferruginoides hardy with you?

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

G'Day blue yew.

Hardiness is unknown yet as I have only just managed to strike a couple after being in the propagation area for 18 months. Its early winter here now so I will not risk putting them out until all danger of frost has passed (late October). The only specimen I have seen of it planted out is about 1.2 metres high so obviously been growing outdoors for a few years.It would have been subject to a number of moderate frosts to -2C or so over the years I'm guessing, but nothing like the cold experienced throughout Europe I suspect.
    Cheers
    Tasmanii

• theforestprimeval
    13 years ago

Cupressus guadalupensis
    Cupressus stephensonii
    Cupressus bakeri
    Cupressus forbesii
    Cupressus abramsiana
    Athrotaxis cupressoides
    Athrotaxis selaginoides
    Fitzroya cupressoides
    Gyptostrobus pensilis
    Taiwania cryptomeriodes (seedling which germinated in a botanical garden bed and was given to me by one of the groundskeepers/gardeners)

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"Have never heard of Dacrydium nausoriense, sounds like I should have it"

Native to Fiji

Resin

• borubar
    13 years ago

@tasmanii

Does something produce already seed ?

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

G'Day Borubar,

A number of my specimens produce viable seed and I also have access to quite a few different species throughout Tas. The main seeding period for most of the ones in my collection is from March through to May other than those that retain seed all year round.

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

Tasmanii

Im looking for seed of Microstrobus niphophyllus
    we could do an exchange.

• borubar
    13 years ago

Tasmanii

please write me an e mail because I cannot send you a mail

• tasmanii
    13 years ago

G'Day Blue yew,

.........and lucky for yew.... I am possibly the only person silly enough to collect seed of this species. It is now known as Phaerosphera hookeriana which was its original name and since recently reinstated. Seed is notoriously difficult to germinate but if you like I can send you some to try your luck. Also have seed of a few other notable Tasmanian conifers plus a few bits and pieces so if you are looking for anything in particular, let me know, you could get lucky twice.
    Cheers
    Tasmanii

• severnside
    13 years ago

Cedrus deodara 'blue dwarf'

No pictures of it on the internet that I could find. I'll change that as soon as I can borrow a good camera.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Severnside,
    You didn't search hard enough because I show a pic of this Cedrus at my website...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus deodara 'Blue Dwarf'

• severnside
    13 years ago

Thanks for telling me about your excellent website CJ, it's defied my searches for some reason. Yes that's the 'blue dwarf' though mine has no central leader.

I notice you also have the Cedrus libani 'Comte de Dijon' which I've never seen before either. I'm still looking for a picture of Cedrus libani 'Fontaine' [spelling?] which is for sale at the nursery I've linked to. I have possible access to a Cedrus libani subsp. brevifolia 'Epsteiniana' which you list, is this a dwarf?

Here is a link that might be useful: Larchcottage - Cedrus

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Cedrus libani 'Comte de Dijon'
    {{gwi:675329}}
    Semi dwarf seedling selection from France.

Cedrus libani 'Fontaine'

First discriped as 'Pendula Contorta', this selection is also from France.

Cedrus libani subsp. brevifolia 'Epsteiniana' is a seedling selection from cedrus libani subsp. brevifolia which is a semi dwarf tree form with a yearly growth of 25 cm.
    I received this plant under the name 'Epsteiniana' from which the World Checklist of Conifers mentioned that this cultivar name is illigitimate because it's found in 1979 which is after 1959 and from that year on Latin names may not be used as a cultivar name, so 'Epstein' it should be...

• severnside
    13 years ago

Thanks again Coniferjoy, pictures of two great specimens. And thanks for the info.

I like the look of the Fontaine/Pendula Contorta, the needles (foliage?) are similar to a full size cedrus, but I guess that's a mature specimen and many years old itself.

Yes it seems the Brevifolia 'Epstein' is what is being offered at the place I linked to, the price half of that for some of the others is maybe indicative of it's lack of rarity.

The 'Epstein' would bring my modest collection up to all the Cedrus - Atlantica, Libani, Deodora and Brevifolia.

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Depends on "rare". A rare tree, or rarely found in the area? I'd venture my pond pine is the only one in mountainous western MD. Doing fine in soggy soil. Similar to loblolly w/slightly longer needles:

• jim_ogden_utah
    8 years ago

I would say my pinus balfouriana is the rarest because I rarely hear of it in cultivation.

As far as rare for my area I have quite a few that are rarely, or in many cases never, seen here.

tsuga heterophylla (4)

pseudotsuga menziesii-Pacific variety (3)

larix lariciana (2)

larix occidentalis--never seen in yards here but there are hundreds in one of the canyons east of SLC that were planted in the early 1900s

abies magnifica

pinus lambertiana

pinus monticola--I have no idea why this isn't sold and planted here. I do have a neighbor from Montana who has 2 that he brought down from there though.

sequoia sempervirens

pinus strobus--I've been told it won't grow here because of the soil. I planted a seedling in 2008 and its 18' now. It's really soaring the last 3 years since I moved back here and could take care of it. At least 37" of growth each of the last 3 years

pinus strobus "Hillside Winter Gold"

auracaria auricana--way more cold hardy than previously considered. The only danger here is too much afternoon sun in July and August

metasequoia glyptostroboides

taxodium distichum

thuja plicata--not some small cultivar but the real deal

chamaecyparis lawsoniana--same as above

pinus coulteri

pinus attenuata

pinus jeffreyi

pinus taeda

• DeanW45
    8 years ago

I love the resurrection of some of these old threads, and this is one is especially fun.

I agree that "rare" can mean multiple things depending on where you live. Pinus taeda, for example, is definitely not rare around here.

I don't have many that would probably be classified as super rare. Maybe my Tsuga sieboldii 'Greenball'?

• Todd C
    8 years ago

Most of my obscure ones are small seed grown

Pinus remota

Pinus maximartinezii

Pinus ayacahuite new seedlings this year from guatemala

Keteleeria davidiana tiny self pollinated seedling

Pinus johannis (might be bicolor)

Cephalotaxus harringtonia duke gardens

Pinus patula

Pinus strobiformis (reflexa) loma linda

Pinus flexilis "mill creek"

Podocarpus macrophylus maki

Cedrus deodara cream puff my 6 footer just got a bonsai trunk chop

Juniperus Virginiana canaertii pretty common I know

Also have some lots of obscure succulents, elms,

• Todd C
    8 years ago

Oh taxodium mucronatum south texas seed source which is cool super fast grower, uh, I have a shimpaku juniper I'm trying to grow out, a big ugly blue vase juniper in my yard. Over the years I've had more obscure stuff, stuff happens, some things die.

• benoit Klein
    7 years ago

I'm searching seeds of conifer from Tasmania ans New Zeeland. It's for many Botanical Garden in France . ( Phyllocladus toatoa, alpinus, asplenifolius etc )

I'm searching also seeds of Cathaya argyrophylla from China.

I have other seeds of conifer to exchange.

Benoit Klein

Botanist gardener

France, Jura

• benoit Klein
    7 years ago

I would like to contact Tasmanii , how can I ?

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Picea Pungens 'Adrian Powell'. It is a Picea Pungens 'Baby Blue' with weeping branches.

• plantkiller_il_5
    7 years ago

pete , who's Adrian ?

ron

• plantkiller_il_5
    7 years ago

no mater what some people say about him , ken does deserve thanks for all the help he tries to give

nice , pete

ron

• missionmom
    7 years ago

Plantkiller, I second that motion! Cheers to ken!!!

pete your Picea pungens is gorgeous I would seek it out :)

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Pete, that is a wonderful conifer.

Dax

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks. I was up there this past weekend and my vernal pool was filling up, to about 15' from this. I can see where this mound may turn into conifer island. Im confident it will survive the winter (it did the last two) but I need to find a drier and sunnier spot for it. My whole property is like jello right now, plus I have major moles (they make great soil) so there are many air filled gaps/less dense areas in the jello.

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Pete, is it a mutation or seedling from 'Baby Blue'? It's not all clear to me how it arose.

Dax

• User
    7 years ago

I purchased it as P. Pungens 'baby blue' (you know the tags, "blue is cool blue is cool blue is cool blue is cool blue is cool"). It was only after a year or two that I noticed its branches were weeping. I think I planted it Nov 2014, but maybe Nov 2015. I do remember when purchasing it, it was different (I looked at every single one they had, probably over 200) but weeping never crossed my mind even though in thinking back I remember it looking about what it currently looks like. When I compared it to my 7 or so other P. Pungens 'baby blue', it was clearly different. I guess it would be considered a seedling with a mutation (or a mutated seedling?) ? The baby blue are grown from seed.

• gardener365
    7 years ago

It's a chance seedling. I see. I did not know "Baby Blue" is a seedling-strain. Are you sure about that? That it's not a grafted cultivar?

Dax

• plantkiller_il_5
    7 years ago

here was the the discussion

ron

seedling

• gardener365
    7 years ago

I hope you graft it Pete. That's one not to lose to your 'bog'.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    7 years ago

It was Pinus heldreichii 'Bosnian Sunrise' but someone on here was kind enough to adopt it instead of it falling victim to common folk.

Common folk = an individual free of coniferitus