Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Destruction in the garden

maple_grove_gw
11 years ago

Be warned that this thread is not for the faint of heart. Posted here are photos capturing the current state of my garden after being hit by Hurricane Sandy. The devastation is simply dreadful. This is mother nature at her worst.

A few days ago, I had asked a question here about my blue atlas cedar. I guess it didn't really matter anyway.

Repetition in the garden: one of my most loved beds featured three species Serbian spruce trees. Looking on the bright side, two of them made it.

Here's a close-up of the roots on the omorika that was blown over:

The first tree I planted after I bought the property in 2005 was this Cretageous 'Winter King'. During the storm, the tree went vertical, with the top of the tree grazing the ground.

The pressure was more than this poor tree could take. The trunk was split straight through.

A kousa dogwood planted in 2008:

Some scenes of random destruction around my garden:

The last set of pictures show what was a row of mature Norway spruce down the block, blown clear out of the ground.

Alex

Comments (25)

• Cher
    11 years ago

Oh Alex I am so sorry. I hope some of your things can be saved and replanted immediately. It's so sad to lose so much. The tree is unreal with the big split. Obviously it can't be saved at all. The huge neighbor's conifers are shocking to see lying there. Hoping for the best with most of yours.
    Cher

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Look on the bright side - nice seed-collecting opportunity with those spruces.

The cedar might be saveable, with some good guy ropes. And dig down to break up the soil below it to encourage deeper rooting.

Resin

• floramakros
    11 years ago

I feel for you Alex, the only saving grace is that you planted them in 2008, they weren't planted by your grandfather in 1958 or earlier like those Norway spruce and can't be replaced. If my tree is going to die before me, let it happen in the first 10 years, after that it's heartbreaking. Don't give up on all of them just yet, the blue atlas and the Serbian spruce are worth planting upright again if you can manage it, you have nothing to lose and hopefully they'll make it. Best of luck.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Too bad. Yep: salvage what you can Alex.

Take care,

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

My heart goes out to you, Alex.

tj

• tunilla
    11 years ago

Good luck with the recovery program ; gardening is or was supposed to be a relaxing hobby...
    Best wishes T.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Good luck with rebuilding all again...

• botann
    11 years ago

My heart goes out to you. That's a lot of damage!
    At least your Phlomis looks OK. ;-)
    Mike

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

ma nature is a witch.. and i mis-spelled that ...

forget about my heart going out to you.. i am pissed for you ...

replant whatever you can.. whats to lose ...

i wonder on some of those smaller ones.. if they would have done better w/o the man-made staking .. i often wonder.. as i am tying a flexible tree to an unmovable object.. whether i am doing better or worse ...

its amazing on those larger trees.. how little major root mass there is ... just goes to show.. i think.. how much of the root mass is feeder roots rather than structural ... [but why is there always a big root where you want to dig a hole ...] ... and i wonder.. how those trees date to the last major blow ... wasnt that in the late 30's or something ... which would be just about when those were babes.. speculating wildly ...

well.. i guess its good you got your grafting system going.. let me know when you are ready for scion.. looks like you will have a few more planting holes ...

take care..

ken

BTW: i notice the sodden earth under the atlas.. is your soil heavy clay ... how long will that water stand there????

• gardener365
    11 years ago

during the 50's Ken. There's a trending of warming and cooling that occurs between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans where one goes from cold to warm and vice-versa. I'm not at all a weather follower, however.

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

After the 1994 ice-storm in SW VA, there was a thin, 40' cherry birch below my house in the understory that was "mostly" uprooted & lying at a 45 deg angle against another tree. I got some rope & a come-a-long (a ratchet that develops a big pulling force). Using another tree to pull against, I somehow pulled it upright & secured it with rope to adjacent trees. Yrs later I removed the ropes, and the tree was OK!

Just saying that it's possible to save some trees this way, but obviously not easy.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

I express my sincere condolences, Alex. My heart hurts looking at these pictures. I hope you and your loved ones are not affected. Media are full of alarming news about your misfortune. We all living through with you. Very sorry to those who perished...

I immediately thought of your all beautiful gardens too. We also had a storm (I live by the seaside), but not so strong. It's terrible.

I wish more rescued trees, Ireena

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Much sympathy.
    I lived through many a storm during my South Florida years and the destruction of the garden was always difficult to look at. After one storm completely wiped out 20 years of work I gave up and moved away.

Husband works on golf courses (both here and there) and they replanted many a storm toppled tree with very good results. Some fairly large trees were successfully re-established on the Florida course almost every year- if they are of a size you can get them upright they are of a size that can be saved. Even if you can only get them halfway propped up for now that betters their chances.
    They want to live- I wish I was there to help you try and save them.

Again much sympathy.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Of course for the ones whose trunks were split, there is no hope.
    However, after the Great Storm of 1987, the gardeners at Kew found that gigantic trees - some over 100 years old - that had been blown over, re-righted, and replanted, actually were invigorated by the procedure. For the ones whose trunks are not damaged, I'd see what happens if you merely right them and stake them. This also assumes none of them had circling roots either.

In any case, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I can imagine how upsetting it must be. Are you in north Jersey or south Jersey?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

sorry, not sure why I thought you were in New Jersey, perhaps just because the damage was the worst there - I know some adjacent states were just as bad. If you are zone 6 I guess you are north Jersey or an interior part of PA, like Reading where there was a 79 mph wind gust.

• severnside
    11 years ago

The big ones look so folorn with their shrouds of turf. Like the skin on a downed elephant.

Sorry also for your losses.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

That blows...pun intended to cheer you up!

Hopefully your favs can bounce back from the transplant. You might be surprised that they do since they where likely dormant.

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 13:21

Of course for the ones whose trunks were split, there is no hope.

Almost always.

My 25' Osage orange had a dead Siberian elm blown over on it -- it was flattened & mostly uprooted. In addition, it twisted the trunk near the base & split it down the middle a foot or so. I cut all the major limbs way back while on the ground, righted & secured it. That was 2 yrs ago & it's recovering -- 3 foot sprouts this yr.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Yes, I think Osage oranges are known for surviving anything besides a direct nuclear attack!

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Dang Alex, Sorry to see all that damage....Always a work in progress. If its not the heat, its a bad storm.
    One year one of my brothers had a real large crep myrtle split and i threw about a dozen fence screws in it and today its doing great. Good luck!

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

Yes sorry to see such damage.Hope you can rescue some of your rare conifers.

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you one and all for your kind words of encouragement. Other than the Hawthorn which I have no hope for, my downed trees are now right side up and staked as needed. Time will tell the true damage that's been done.

David, no need to apologize, indeed I am in NJ, central NJ about half way between Princeton and the shore. Until the recent zonal revision, most of NJ was rated as Z6, and that's still what I consider myself. I can't remember the last time we got down below -5 *F though for that matter.

Ken, these pics were taken as the storm was receding and the ground was well beyond saturated. That said, my soil is fairly clayey and like many recently developed properties, it varies in its nature from spot to spot. New plantings will be made in raised beds with imported "topsoil", for that reason.

Thanks again everyone.

Alex

• thetman
    11 years ago

good thing you staked them- seems like another nor'easter is coming in wednesday night. I know I staked off some stuff this weekend that partially uprooted from sandy last week. don't think this one will as bad- but still alot of wind and rain sowing. good luck.

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Gah that's rough. We get storms here occasionally with 40-70 mph winds but nothing like the beating you guys took. I think a few of your trees are salvagable at least and boy would it feel good to save them and look back on this with some kind of smile.

• bradarmi
    11 years ago

Alex, I agree with others have said try replanting your trees, (don't overdo it though - get some help) and you will be surprised about how tough they are. We had a 15-20 foot Austrian pine blow down a few years ago and called a landscaping company the next day. The guy was also a tree lover like us and said, well lets try to save it. We dug up around the roots, added some soil and just packed it back in, and viola - the tree has made a great recovery.

keep us posted and sorry for the destruction.