Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxo_man

Chamaecyparis ID

taxo_man
11 years ago

Hello!

Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be? If I had to describe it I would say it has juvenile squarrosa foliage all over. I was thinking either Chamaecyparis pisifera squarrosa intermedia or maybe chamaecyparis thyoides 'red star' or Chamaecyparis pisifera tama-himuro??? Or maybe something entirely different.

Thoughts? Thanks!!

Jeff

Comments (21)

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Taxo-man,

I've wondered about mine for a long time and have often thought it is a Chamaecyparis thyoides of some sort. I even posted on the Conifer forums several years ago but I wasn't convinced with the ideas/comments/answers. Mine is multi-stemmed with peely bark and does bronze up a bit in the winter. Your close up of the needles/leaves look like mine. This tree is located on the north Oregon coast and I see other specimens in older established neighborhoods. Where is your located?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Avenue', in the past as 'Squarrosa Avenue'...

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine is located in Branford Connecticut.
    Thank you Edwin!!
    J

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Coniferjoy, Thank you for the information, however, when I search for images, nothing I find looks like Taxo-man's photo nor the tree that I have. Perhaps you could post a photo or two of the needles and tree?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have pics of the 'Avenue'.
    But I can tell you that I've made several thousand cuttings of this one and will recognized it from al the other conifers by it's typical foliage structure.
    I even can recognized it by it's special smell...

Jeff's specimen is a very old one with a single leader which still give it a nice shape.

Most of the time this cultivar has multiple leaders and will fall appart by heavy snow.
    People will get rid of it then and that's why there are not many old specimens left of it.

I can provide you more info if you will show me a detail pic of your specimen...

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Edwin, ok the previous photo indicates the multiple leaders and this next image a close up of the needles. I hope this helps. I often thought it was an old variety and was most likely planted during the '40's. Thank you in advance.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Gal, your's is the same as Jeff's, it's also the 'Avenue'.
    It's not that old, I guess it was planted in the late eighties.
    This cultivar grows very fast at first, later on it slows down because it will cost a lot of energy to keep it's leaders straigtened up.
    Your's is a beautiful specimen now to form it as a topiary...

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Edwin, Thanks for the update. It is a lovely specimen but a "topiary?" You've got to be kidding!

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Once more, additional pictures on this link; http://community.webshots.com/user/kyotegal. Check out the "Trees" album and any other albums if you choose.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Gal, I watched the pics you mentioned.
    Please can you show us your tree2 pic here.
    I saw something special at it...

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Edwin, stupid webshots won't let me copy my own photo. But if what you saw of interest may be the fact that one branch/trunk cracked and we added a support which you can see in the next photo. I'm sure one day we will have to remove that branch. You're thoughts?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

No, it's not that branch, it's something much more special!
    Can you make a new shot for me taken from the same focal point?

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

OK, here it is! The original photo. Now what's is so special?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

The foliage of the first leader in front at the left side.
    It's foliage is much more finer then all it's other parts.

It would be very interesting for me to see a close up pic of this part. I guess we're dealing here with a very interesting compact mutation which can result into a nice brandnew cultivar!
    WOW!

I'm surprised you didn't see this by yourself...

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Ed, Here's a photo taken just a few moments ago. Note some brown spots in upper middle and lower left. I haven't bothered to cut them out nor do I know what caused it. Yes, the foliage seems much finer. The next photo will show a closeup.

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Close up.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

It's a beauty, worth for sure to propagate it!

It seems that you've a magic tree overthere, there's also a little blue part at the right higher part.
    I would like to see I pic of that one too.

I'm very sorry that I put you in so much work...

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Ed, not a problem! Another photo taken from the opposite from my deck of the upper leaning branch. Perhaps I could send more photos through your website email and you can direct me how to take cuttings and send to you.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

WOW, another beauty!!!
    Sending me a few more pics of it sounds great to me.
    You know how to find me...

• zephyrgal
    11 years ago

Check your email!!!!

• Jeff
    4 years ago

@zephyrgal, Wondering what ever came of Edwin's observations. The blueish branch and the compact versions found on your tree.. Are they in the trade now? If so, under what names. Thanks! :)