Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

anything with smoother, redder bark than Chamaecyparis pisifera?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
11 years ago

I saw some trees near the UDel campus today that looked a lot like Chamaecyparis pisifera, but they had exceptionally reddish, fluted smooth bark. It still had some fissures - it wasn't quite a madrone - but was more ornamental than I remember this species looking. Is there anything else it could have been? Are some forms of that known for better bark than others? One odd thing is it was obviously very old, about 45'/15m at least (fastigiate) but from what I could tell, still had prickly juvenile foliage. Maybe the lower limbs always retain that? They had been limbed up so it wouldn't have been easy to get a close look at the foliage anyhow.

I checked some online pictures of bark and I can't quite find anything like it. Maybe squirrels strip the flaky, more brown bits and cause a more solidly reddish layer to be exposed? I actually approached them because from a distance the glowing red bark made me think they were Sequoias. When I got closer I realized they didn't look right for that...and I'm sure it wasn't a deciduous conifer either. It would have been turning by now. Foliage wasn't great looking: an indifferent grayish-green and somewhat ratty branch structure.

It wasn't in the perfunctory botanical garden there, so it did not have a tag.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider