Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowariver

Growing the fastest Giant Thuja: Soils, Nutients, ?

iowariver
11 years ago

I want to grow my Giant Thujas as fast as possible. What soil nutrients might be best, and typically unavailable to the plant? Locally, we are in a sandy-clay, loam, a Mississippi River valley terrace in Iowa, and they are doing fine. I want to give them a BIG boost. Very important as to privacy. I'd love to find the perfect soil and balance its nutrients. Maybe I should post a soil test.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Natural composting of plant materials, i.e. hay and mulch. No fertilizers (weakens the soil structure in the long term) and most-importantly the quality of the root-system at planting time. The best grown roots of trees are those grown in Rootmaker cells and then bumped up to other containers where the roots don't "spin" or "wind." Of course if you have excellent soil what I call IL and IA "black gold" because of it's loamy and black color, you'll have better soil than anyone else in the world.

Dax

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Oh yes, and water. Supplemental water when appropriate.

Dax

• scotjute Z8
    11 years ago

Backfill with soil that came out of the hole and top off with about an inch or so of the best natural compost you can find. Cover with about 2-3" of quality hardwood mulch. Deep water every few days during hot weather,less as temperatures cool.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

all trees have an annual growth rate ... and you can not change it

they are trees.. not children.. more food will not make them fatter .. nor taller..

have a soil test done.. amend soil appropriately .. which doesnt mean just the planting hole..

plant them PROPERLY ...

water them PROPERLY

and mulch them PROPERLY ...

they will grow.. after getting established.. as fast as they can.. in your zone.. in your soil.. in your garden ...

there is NOTHING you can do.. to change that speed ... its genetic ...

your biggest problem with speed in z4.. will be the number of months that the soil is frozen solid.. during which period.. your tree will be in suspended animation... you will not achieve a tremendous growth rate.. because of this ... yours are simply not going to grow as fast as some planted in z7 or 8 ... where frankly.. they never stop growing.. year round ...

good luck

ken

ps: if you want them to grow as fast as some of those marketing claims.. then you will have to grow them in a greenhouse ...

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

There you go Ken-a greenhouse, some heating cables in the soil, I'd say we're all set!

+oM

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Ken, many people, including farmers, will take issue with the idea that more food doesn't make plants grow bigger and even faster. I know you don't like to fertilize but it's not exactly true that it doesn't work. And trees are not any different than any other plants. And I have to say, virtually none of us grow anything in a "natural" environment- it's all very unnatural in fact. Nobody says to go the MG route but a little push is not a bad thing. Nitrogen is very often the only nutrient needed and is often lacking in soils. I'm pushing 50 and I would like to enjoy everything before I'm on a walker or have to be pushed around. Like you said, they're not children, so you don't really have to be all that careful- they're plants. Just saying.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor