Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

GG Production

wisconsitom
10 years ago

I was up looking at my oldest planted trees, those in the ground for four growing seasons now. I've recounted the fantastic growth on hybrid larch and Norway spruce. Something that caught my eye this time were the three Green Giants we planted at that time. They were Botany Shop, so whatever size that was, shipped to my home in a box. Planted in upland, stony sandy loam. Lots of rain during most of that timespan, but some dry periods.

Anyway, these things have grown extremely well in this cold place. In general appearance, they are approaching those in that photo Ken puts up occasionally when this tree comes up. Trunks are gaining girth, there is not so much as a blemish on any of the foliage, just beautiful healthy plants. So, even though I also move lots of Thuja occidentalis from my low areas up into this field, and even though they too do well here, I'm thinking of perhaps buying a bunch more GGs, to fit in an around other stuff. then I got to wondering-GG is a hybrid between T. plicata and T. standishii, but how are they produced? Are these things grafted? Continuous F1 hybrids. F2 or later? Anyone know?

+oM

Comments (10)

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

They are rooted from cuttings.

Frank

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

One wonders if the Thuja occidentalis/GGs will cross-pollinate & produce viable triple-hybrid seeds...

• bobarian68
    10 years ago

Don't see any Larch in this neck of the woods..except at the Bronx Botanical Gardens ,and other selective gardens.Funny thing,Home Depot is starting to carry more specific trees and shrubs.Especialy in the more affluent areas(go figure).I try to keep track of all the new arrivals at Home Depot,as if I'm lucky, i stumble on some unique specimens, and cheap as only HD can be!!

• wisconsitom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"One wonders if the Thuja occidentalis/GGs will cross-pollinate & produce viable triple-hybrid seeds..."

Yes Beng, one does wonder, and that one is me! Honestly, for a guy for whom 'native restoration' makes up a big chunk of his occupation, I'm sure willing to set the stage for spontaneous hybridization to occur! Between this example and my hybrid larch/tamarack proximities, you almost might think it deliberate!

+oM

• steg
    10 years ago

Tom/+oM,

I know it's a separate topic, but I'd love to see some pics of your larch collection. I've tried planting a healthy amount of them throughout my 3/4 acre lot, knowing full well that I'm pushing it zone-wise with how south I am. Had a few casualties with 1-2 year old seedlings and a couple of pendulous varieties that were in bad shape when I got them, but many seem to be really thriving here. Definitely one of the most beautiful conifers, in my eyes.

Thanks,
    Steg

• wisconsitom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree Steg-very nice trees. I also agree that it would be great of me to post some pics. Long-timers here know I never do! My only excuse really is that whenever I'm up at the spruce ranch, I'm there to work, not walk around with a camera! Oh, and general ignorance of posting pics online too!

I've really only got two larch going up there-Larix marschlinsii-hybrid or "Dunkeld" larch (Sp?) and Larix laricina-tamarack. I'm led to believe that even up in that area, it might get too hot in the summer for western larch. Otherwise, I'd have tried a few of those by now. In any case, I've probably got 2000 individual larch trees by now! I guess you could say I like them.

You must get some Lake Erie temp. modification, do you not? I don't know a lot about Cleveland area, but it seems you should be able to grow tamarack there.

+oM

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Wisc, I'm having issues w/my 2 larches. First, my 9-yr old hybrid 'Dunkeld' larch (almost 25' tall), after starting out fast, has gotten some kind of needle-blight that hurts it from mid-summer on, every year. Looks rather miserable & growth has slowed to a crawl. The nearby Japanese larch looked fine, until this yr. Now the lowest branches on it have the same "crud". Don't know what it is -- can't see evidence of spider-mites or needle-eaters -- needles just turn pale yellow & fall, beginning in mid-summer. Can't be water -- happens even when the soil-moisture is OK.

• wisconsitom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes. Have not seen that yet. Only insect or malady I've witnessed on larch generally is when sawfly larvae ramp up every few years. That can lay waste to a stand in a hurry, though luckily, these trees seem able to bounce back well.

Guess I'd have to research that problem you're reporting. Starting low on tree does suggest fungal needle blight of some kind. There are also casebearers (insect larvae) which are known to attack larch. Those cases could junk up the appearance of the branchlets.

+oM

• steg
    10 years ago

+0M, understand where you're coming from with the picture taking. Can definitely be a pain in the ass, even for us young guys who grew up with technology! Having a smart phone as a cell phone makes it easy--always with me.

I'm within 20 miles of the lake, so I think there is some affect of temperance. From my understanding, I'm about as far south as you can get with still being able to have larch, in most cases. I know of the tamarack stand at Kent Bog, which is a bit more south of me, but have not had a chance to head out that way since it was brought to my attention last year. Hoping to see it next fall or spring.

I'm not entirely sure which Larix species I have. I know I got a couple of Western larches from the U Idaho seedling program 2 falls ago, and the one is growing like gangbusters in partial sun. Had a couple casualties (of possibly other varieties (laricina), but very well could just be that they were young and didn't handle the move well. So far so good, mainly...

The biggest larch I have can be seen in the Snow Load thread I started. Bought from a friend's dad who was growing a bunch of stuff. Not sure what variety it is, but has been doing well here for the last 2 or 3 years.

'$+eG'

• wisconsitom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That would be of interest if it turned out you indeed have a western larch doing well there. Anecdotes from right on this forum had indicated it having a tough time with eastern US heat during summer. Keep us posted as the years go by!

+oM