Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lady_of_the_woods

Need your advice on planting an arb hedge

lady_of_the_woods
10 years ago

I need a privacy hedge in the front of my house. I am considering planting Emerald Green Arborvitae. My home is in northwest Arkansas. The hedge would be planted at the edge of my front yard where it meets the public street. There are no traffic considerations, i.e. obstructing views. The site receives full sun. When it rains the area holds water for a bit. The advice of those experienced with this type of planting would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (7)

• kmanzfive laknee
    10 years ago

4' on center .Personal opinion 'Ermald Green' is lousy. 'DeGroots Spire' is excellent and holds shape very well. Next ones would be 'Techny' slow grower, followed by
    'Dark American' Most 'Emerald Green' have multiple leaders, which is not good. They not handle snow and or ice loads very well.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Consider too the globe versions, specifically, the old standby 'Woodward Globe'. Spaced just a bit farther apart than kman suggests-perhaps five or six feet-they will quickly fill in, forming a hedge that is of perfect height for screening, never need pruning, and handle soil wetness with ease (As would any arb cultivar).

I've done this in landscaping projects a number of times, and quite frankly, it works out perfectly.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would like to see a pic of the front of the house ... before i could comment on such ...

ken

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

With the 'Woodward Globe' hedge, it will, in a few short years, already be tall enough that should you be sitting on your patio or lawnchair, it will already be high enough to provide you with privacy. Later, these things can get surprisingly wide and tall. I consider that a plus, but it should be figured into your plans. Tall is relative, and so for these globes, an ultimate height of 8 feet is not at all out of the question. But that's still lower and perhaps more manageable than one consisiting of upright plants, especially in as much as you don't have to shear these at all. And that 8 ft. is after quite a lot of years.

I've also not generally seen large globe arbs broken up by snow and/or ice load. I consider this an underused gem for such applications.

+oM

• steg
    10 years ago

Tom,

I like your thought on the usage of globe arbs for a screen. Never would have considered that style, but I think it really makes sense. We've got such an instant gratification fix when it comes to landscaping, as a society in general. It's good to take a long term view of things.

I've got a couple of globe-style arbs and I've been surprised at how quickly they've grown!

Steg

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

also ... the pic might explain ..

the height you are thinking of planting .. as well as how high they need to be ...

as well as explain how many decades it might take EG or globes to actually function in the way you wish ...

emerald greens are one of the slower arbs in most situations... in MI anyway ..... so if you are expecting some level of a quick response... they might not be the best selection ...

you have offered a suggestion.. but you really havent given us many facts about the whole project .... the pic might cut the wordage down significantly ... you might be surprised.. how many times we spend many posts theorizing.. and finally a pic is posted.. and just about everything we said .. became irrelevant ...

ken

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Haha, true, Ken! So here goes some more blind speculation; Steg, absolutely right you are-these globes grow and develop fast! At my folks new house-well, it was new 15 years ago-I did a sweeping line of 15 'Woodward Globes'. I did find nice plants at rock-bottom price when a local garden center left some out in the back too long and their burlap was pretty well gone. So, I don't rremember what I paid, but it was a good deal. Now, those things are completely performing their function. As I said too, snow and ice have not messed with them. Because of their location-there's a parking area directly behind them-a snowplow guy did once push a bunch of snow up into the row, breaking a branch or two. But even that has filled back in. Truly, no-hassle plants when used in this way.

+oM