Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urchysj

Cologreen Juniper hedge

urchysj
10 years ago

Hello. I need a tight privacy hedge that will be low-maintenance (no pruning necessary) and some-what problem free. I have narrowed down my search to the Cologreen Juniper because deer don't like it much (big problem here), and it is dense, tall enough (15' max) and hardy for my area. The fact sheet also says their branches are close to the ground and are not "leggy", also important for a solid wall. I know I will need to change the planting soil...I have free access of partially composted SPF wood mulch, free sand, and free wood ash if needed. These trees have a 5' spread and I want them to be close enough together to form a pretty tight, solid wall. The Junipers have good access to partial sun and full sun, are wind-protected, and will have good drainage once I mix up my planting soil (native soil is very heavy with clay). Does anyone have a better suggestion for me? Cedar is out due to deer...and I thought Spruce would not be tight enough of a wall. And I also need to know if these Junipers should be planted in a straight line/row, or if they should be "zig-zagged". And....very important....how far apart should I plant them to attain this tight wall? Any ideas on what proportion to mix my soil and should I add anything else? Thank you very much.

Comments (2)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

15 feet is the 10 year height

presume 30 feet in 20 years ..

width is the same idea .. see link for info on ANNAL GROWTH RATES ..

do not amend planting soil ..

i presume this will be a spring planting project???? in your z3??? .. if so.. we have plenty of time to figure it all out ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Juniper's probably a good idea for a hedge. Are you for/against shearing it, annually? Check out link for a very mature juniper hedge that's been well-taken care of for 30 some years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wichita Blue hedge