Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea abies Hildburghausen

Four years of this symmetrical small dwarf, it grows roughly 2-3 inches a year(4-8 cm), and forms a nice globe without much pruning. Selected by Gert Bohme in Germany, 1990. Original plant source: Larry Stanley, S&S nursery.

2009 Late Winter(2008-2009)

2010, Spring new shoots, a very smile-worthy look.

2012, Autumn.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea abies 'Hildburghausen' information, credit: Bob Fincham

Comments (22)

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

A lovely looking plant.
    Richard

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Great cultivar, thanks for showing us your nice pics.

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Always had doubts as to this one being the correct cultivar in the US, as my plant makes a very dwarf squatty little pyramid, this form shown is more rounded and looks more like 'Oldenburg' ... I got my original material from the introducer of both plants Gert Bohme many years ago. I know my 'Oldenburg' is the correct plant because it is quite distinctive in appearance as it ages, and I have seen the exact same plant in Dennis Dodge's collection a few years back. As for 'Hildburghausen' it's possible I may have got my material mixed up with a lot of other Norway spruce broom material he sent at that time, but then again perhaps the introducer of this form in the US did the same. Be nice to get this one sorted out one way or the other, never seen any other good pics of this plant apart from mine and the one on the Coenosium Gardens site to try and make a judgement ..

• jaco42
    11 years ago

Firefighter, first let me say very nice looking plant. My question is,is the growth rate for width in proportion to its uppward growth rate.

• jaco42
    11 years ago

thank you, that is the information I needed

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

It's highly unlikely that Will's plant is the same as mine ..

• jaco42
    11 years ago

thank you, guess I will have to do some more research

jaco42

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No question they are different plants.

The photo I have from the RHS conifer encyclopedia shows a plant virtually identical to the one I posted above, only larger but still very globose and symmetrical. The foliage is also longer and less dense.

Though I actually prefer how Stephen's plant looks, it does appear to be a different cultivar.

I've only had these two volumes for a few months but boy are they nice referrences for comparing and discerning the true nature of cultivars.

-Will

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Not seen the encyclopaedia's as yet Will, can't afford them ;o) ..does it say where the photo was taken, that would be more than helpful ?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

My plant is from Bob Fincham. I bought it in 2003 and it was slightly larger than a golf ball.

Picea abies 'Hildburghausen' at 9 years old

Dax

• severnside
    11 years ago

Your pics of specimens in enigmatic isolation add a real dimension Dax, it's like coming across plants in open country, loses the urban feel a lot of gardens obviously have.

Looks nearer to Blue's plant than Will's except for the globe shape.

This post was edited by severnside on Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 19:45

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dax's specimen sure does look like Stephen's but, here's the kicker, the photo from the RHS Encylopedia's shows Bob Fincham's gardens the credit to their round, slightly more open(less dense) plant that mirrors my specimen above, only to greater stature(probably 15 years old or so)....

Is this possibly something to do with climates or rootstock differences? I know some picea pungens miniature/dwarves grow much slower when rooted as opposed to grafted, and some plants grow faster when grafted to specific rootstock. Might this be part of the mystery?

-Will

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Will, your plant reminds me of Picea abies 'Fritsche'.

Eitherway enjoy the time lapse threads!

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Stephen, I have always admired this one in your garden. Did you ever propagate from it?
    Richard

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Never propagated from it Richard, only because of the doubt regarding my plant being the correct cultivar.

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Another pic I found of my 'Hildburghausen' as a younger plant.

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Really is very attractive this cultivar. Looks very healthy too.
    Richard

• HU-660845619
    2 years ago

Stumbled on this thread while trying to find pictures of mature Hildburghausen spruce. Would anyone mind sharing updates?

• plantkiller_il_5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO FACEBOOK TO TALK TO THOSE PEOPLE

RON

not caps

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    2 years ago

firefightergardener is Will Fletcher. He's on FB but doesn't post a lot. But you can message him there.

• HU-660845619
    2 years ago

Thanks!