Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Broom Found

gardener365
12 years ago

Keith Guess and I will be collecting this Norway spruce broom this winter. I spoke with the owner and said I'd name it after him. I said I'll be back sometime around Feb. and he said, well I think I'll be here. Then he continued to say if I didn't call first and he was not at home that his neighbor would shoot me on site. So appropriately with his last name being: Harms, I introduce:

Picea abies (Harms Way)

There she is from the highway as I was driving past.

Picea abies (Harms Way)

Picea abies (Harms Way)

Picea abies (Harms Way)

Picea abies (Harms Way)

Picea abies (Harms Way)

Dax

Dax Herbst/Keith Guess/possibly Charlie Hunter too, 2012.

Comments (38)

• arceesmith
    12 years ago

Dax, I love your story and the resulting cultivar name - and the broom looks promising! Have fun - I look forward to seeing your new grafts over the years as they develop. :^)

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank ya Ed. All the pieces to the puzzle fit together nicely.

Cheers,

Dax

• jaro_in_montreal
    12 years ago

Agree ! ...great story Dax.

BTW, who's going to be climbing up there ? ....or are you going to fire a missile at it ? :O)

• botann
    12 years ago

Looks like a good climb Dax.
    Wanna borrow my climbing gear?
    Or you gonna go hand over hand?
    Mike

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Congratulations and that is a great story. Be careful up there.

tj

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Dax, When are you going after it?

Do a photo shoot and be careful.

Dave

• noki
    12 years ago

Helicopter?

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Believe it - telescopic pole pruners will reach it. (5) sections @ 10'/3.33M snapped together. It's more or less 50'/17M up. No reason to climb for this broom (on a nice day this winter if possible & I'll bring my camera along). Charlie Hunter will be along to help. We're sending him in first in case of a feisty trigger-happy-neighbor.

Dax

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    12 years ago

Okay Broom Hunter Dax - when ya gonna let your hair grow out like that other broom hunter who sometimes posts here in the forum ;)
    Marshall

• sluice
    12 years ago

excellenté

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Dax the Jan Salma of the USA.

Dave

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just got a haircut and know that I must become old man to allow hair to become long again and then famous. :Dax

• tunilla
    12 years ago

I'm a fan already...got any T-shirts? T.

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Dax, while I'm not the broom fanatic that you and some others are, your story and the resulting cultivar name are pure brilliance! Good luck with it

+oM

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bowing down...Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tunilla - here's as close as I can come :Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I rounded up the neighbor and first shot he blasted a piece off the broom. Of course it stayed in the tree. And another shot threw off another chunk which too stayed in the tree. I'll be waiting for the wind to bring them down.

youtube video: You're able to see the piece fly off if watched carefully.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Shawn Blasts Witches Broom Piece off Picea abies 'Harms Way'

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Incredible! You have to be a good shot to accomplish such a feat.

-Sam

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I kept waiting to see a goose fall with the scion ala the Three Stooges. lol. Thanks for the video.

tj

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

You Go Dax ! Way cool!

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice!

He took that scion down clean.

• hermi-of-iowa
    12 years ago

Hey Dax,
    What is the annual growth per year on this one? Can you show us a picture of the scions? A good thing the neighbor didn't start shooting back. Happy grafting.
    Dennis

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't shoot guns, but, that guy does obviously.

Hermsen, I have no idea what the growth rate is. I doubt it's 2" but I'll dream it is. I have some photos of the scions now. They vary so much, and when I was cutting up the chunks, I noticed some shoots at 2" others at 3". I'll wait for the grafts to push to know for sure. Obviously, whatever they grow this year you can double that growth rate after the plants are 10-years old, generally-speaking.

Later all,

Dax

Picea abies 'Harms Way'

Picea abies 'Harms Way'

Picea abies 'Harms Way'

Picea abies 'Harms Way'

Picea abies 'Harms Way'

Picea abies 'Harms Way'

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    12 years ago

those are some huge buds, Bud. Are you sure we're looking at a Picea abies? Does Picea rubens grow in your area? Just doesn't look like Picea abies to me.

How about all you other guys and girls?
    ~Dave

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perfect Dave, perfect. I'm at 100% with my grafts still. It however won't be all that long until I begin losing some that you'd swear there's no reasoning for it to happen.

And that's definitely Picea abies and I'll mention the simple reason why: the tree has different buds than the witches broom which you will notice when you compare a W.B. to the host. The tree, typical, orange florets, orange buds, the witches broom: reddish buds.

The,

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

Hey Dax, My grafting experience has been limited to a few japanese maples every spring...never attempted a conifer. I see in your photo that you must be hydrating your scion. Have you ever done that with scion from a deciduous tree? Ive never seen that done before.
    Thanks AL

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure you can.

I re-hydrate everything & anything. Stuff clipped the same day and in good condition I go 30 minutes. Then depending on the condition, or length of time the scion sat, you can go up to three hours, max. For stuff in the fridge for 3-weeks which is pretty well the limit for still having decent chances, I always start with 1.5 hours of re-hydration. Then if I think they are still too dry, I do another 1.5 hours.

Scions that are really dry and you still may want to graft because of rarity or some such factor - fill 1/2 a 5-gallon bucket with water and add one cap-full of 'Superthrive' and re-hydrate 2-3 hours.

Superthrive may be used anytime at that rate.

After you've re-hydrated them, allow them to air dry. I turn on my microwave oven exhaust fan and put the scions on a towel on my kitchen range and that wicks/pulls the water right off most all scions in 20 minutes. Then I wait an additional 40 minutes to allow the bark to dry - so the bark doesn't 'slip' when cutting - then go graft em up.

Dax

• severnside
    12 years ago

The master has spoken.

Cool Dax.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As my Dad says, I've taught you everything I know, but, I haven't taught you everything.

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Correction to the above:

As my Dad says, I've taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything, I know. This especially comes up when we're shooting pool/billiards.

Dax

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

WOW...Thanks for the hot tip !!!

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought everyone knew this!? :-]~

Dax

• mirek_l
    12 years ago

Picea abies

{{gwi:850715}}

{{gwi:850717}}

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Color is grand.

Dax

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

Nice color,did you name it? you can name it Picea abies Dax.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like that name.

Dax

• mirek_l
    12 years ago

Oh, no :(
    P. abies 'Klakier'

• gardener365
    Original Author
    12 years ago