Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ospreynn

pinus strobiformins, reflexa or ayacahuite brachyptera??

ospreynn
18 years ago

I am confused with all the information I found about the south western border pine. I tried to figure this out, but even books seem to contradict themselves. I want to get a tree from forest farm but it says pinus strobiformis (reflexa), I wonder what it will be. I am interested in pinus ayacahuite brachyptera because of its cones. Will this be the same. I will appreciate any help making clear the differences between these species.

osprey

Comments (8)

• pineresin
    18 years ago

Hi Osprey - Yep, there's a lot of confusion about with these!

True Pinus strobiformis Engelm., as described by George Engelmann in 1848, is a Mexican endemic, Chihuahua south to Jalisco. The type specimen was collected at Cusihuirachic in southern Chihuahua (about 90km southwest of Chihuahua City)

Pinus ayacahuite var. brachyptera G.R.Shaw (1909) is a nomenclatural synonym of P. strobiformis - the name is based on the same type specimen, with Shaw citing Engelmann's name in his publication. So the two are one and the same, down to the individual tree; their treatment as different in Perry's Pines of Mexico is incorrect.

Pinus reflexa (Engelmann) Engelmann, a.k.a. Pinus flexilis var. reflexa Engelmann, is what you have in NM and AZ; Sudworth (and the US Forest Service following him) also call it "Pinus strobiformis", but it is not the same as Engelmann's Pinus strobiformis, differing in smaller cones with less prolonged scales, and needles with serration weakly defined and only on the outer half of the needle (fully serrated in P. strobiformis). It may well be a natural hybrid (area of hybrid introgression) between P. strobiformis and P. flexilis. This is very likely what Forest Farm are selling (but you could always ask them where their seed is from!). Note also the cultivar 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid' belongs here.

Pinus flexilis - CO, UT, NV, northwards - has even smaller cones, and smooth needles with no serration at all.

If you want true P. strobiformis, you'll probably have to go to Mexico and collect your own.

Pics of the cones of all of them at the link below

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: white pine cones (scroll a quarter of the way down)

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you once again resin, now it makes sence. I always was confused by those three species. I also think that what forestfarm sells is the pinus flexilis var.reflexa (or pinus reflexa). Still, I will ask them. I saw the pictures, and they also have quite big cones. I will see if I get this one, any other recomendation for pines with big cones, or extra long leaves.

osprey

• happyhoe
    18 years ago

Recent rapd's and isozyme analysis of strobiformis, reflexa and ayachuite and flexis show that the first three are the same species and flexis is seperate species.

You have to understand the evironmental of the south west. The first three poluations were reletively recently seperated, at the end of the last major ice age. During the ice age they were a contiguous population as temperature warmed the reminant populations were driven to higher altitudes and have been segregated on mountain tops at where they have been in breeding for the last say 10,000 years.

• ospreynn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Back to the same question, is it a way you can ID the tree based on a pic they have now. What I really want is to have a pine that will have long cones. The link is

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=pist425

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Hi Osprey,

Maybe ask them if the tree they graft from produces cones, and if so, how long they are. It is most likely to be a US origin rather than Mexican, so I'd expect a cone size of somewhere between 12-24cm long. They get longer the further south you go in Mexico, with 50cm cones (some claim even 60cm) reported in Jalisco.

Resin

• nothotsuga
    17 years ago

Recent rapd's and isozyme analysis of strobiformis, reflexa and ayachuite and flexis show that the first three are the same species and flexis is seperate species.

Do you have the reference of the article, please?

• kman04
    16 years ago

Talk about reviving an ancient thread, but ospreynm did you ever find out what forestfarm was selling as Pinus strobiformis?

• flattie
    15 years ago

I have one of of these FF plants. They aren't grafted for one thing. Mine will be planted this fall. In the meantime on my deck it has seen 95F (35 C) temps and sun except at high noon. It still grew 8 inches over the last 6 weeks! I can't imagine how well this will do in the ground here in Albuquerque, NM. This looks like a great substitute for the Euro pines that are too-often planted in the arid SW USA. No offense Resin.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH