Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

Coenosium Gardens

We visited Coenosium in September and my blog partner took some great shots. The gardens were beautiful and I wanted to share these photos with all of you.
Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Gardens visit, Sept 2012

Comments (15)

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Gorgeous gardens, I'm hoping to get out to see Coenosium gardens next spring if everything works out. The photos are gorgeous...your partner captured some wonderful shots.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

thx for sharing..

stunning photography ....

had to go pretty far down that page to find any grass in any of those gardens ...

couldnt even find a good place for the old standard: still some grass left to turn into a new bed.. lol

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ladylotus let me know if your trip takes in the Bay Area - some nice spots to visit here as well.

Ken - the property was woodland (with BIG trees) when they started...he has to take out monsters to put in new beds! Makes me thankful that I started with grass - fields in my case, but same difference.

Sara

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i meant your blog page.. and all the various gardens contained therein ... not just bob's [i hate to be so familiar.. but i cant spell conoseum from memory.. or do i?? .. nope now that i look at it.. lol]

ken

ps: yeah yeah.. i see it in the title just above where i am typing.. but i am looking at the keyboard ...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes, I see what you mean! We don't have a lot of grass out here...no summer rain in many parts of the West, so keeping a lawn green would be a challenge.

The shots with lawn are in the PNW - I hear they get rain up there from time to time...:)

Sara

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Great photo shoot. Though I've yet to see the photo of Coenosium Gardens that was not awe-inspiring, this photo tour was special indeed. Nice how you captured different aspects of the art. Especially love the rock garden photo (the "newer garden")...it seems to convey such a feeling of depth, and the plants are of course awesome.

May I ask, Sara, which plants did you take home with you? Photos?...

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nice tour, enjoy checking out the blog. These posts are a nice reminder to come visit.

• bobfincham
    11 years ago

Sara,

It was a pleasure having you and Jan visit. I always enjoy seeing how other people view our gardens by seeing some of their pictures. After I get our catalog updated I'll take some time and put up some pictures of the garden I created out of our former sales area.

Bob

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bob, looking forward to it! I think that Jan is planning to send you a disk of her photos. We had such a nice time visiting and thanks again for your hospitality. If you are ever down this way it would be a pleasure to show you your plants in my garden.
    Sara
    ps Maple Grove I will look up the plants that I bought and post them tomorrow.

• pasadena
    11 years ago

You could give me those exact same conifers, and it wouldn't look 10% as nice...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maple Grove - I seem to have been Pinus-crazy when I was at Coenosium (although it's probably my favorite conifer genus anyway), and here's what got:
    P. cembra 'Aurea'
    P. sylvestris 'Vargguld'
    P. strobus 'Greg'
    P. strobus 'Horsford'
    P. uncinata 'Johan Ricany'

And then, to fill the box, a Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper'

The plants are in 5" pots and are all sturdy and well-rooted. They arrived in great shape.

Sara

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice selection of plants, and I'll also admit to having experienced moments of pine obsession.

'Berliner's Weeper' is a great selection; I've one which is about 10 years old, it's certainly one of my favorites. I'd recommend giving it a prime spot.

Alex

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Sara,

P. strobus 'Horsford'. A tight growing cultivar and one you won't be disappointed with.

Needs a yearly needle clean out for good air circulation.

Enjoy.

Dave

A 12 year old specimen.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

I came across this pic of 'Berliner's Weeper' from a few months back, and thought you might be interested. It's a fast grower, as I'm sure you know. Boy, was I relieved when I saw that it made it through Sandy unscathed.

Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper'

{{gwi:645701}}

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 9:23

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dave and Alex for the photos - the 'Horsford' is gorgeous - I am so glad that I got it. I spend a good part of early autumn being a 'Pine Groomer' - a very Zen-like and relaxing chore, I find, so I will add this one to the garden's beauty regimen.

Love the 'Berliner's Weeper', too! It is the only one of the Coenosium haul that I have not planted, still searching, as you suggest, for a prime spot. I like to make sure that I give everything enough room (at least for the growth likely in MY lifetime!)

Thanks again -

Sara

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio