Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coenosium Gardens

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 21:05

We visited Coenosium in September and my blog partner took some great shots. The gardens were beautiful and I wanted to share these photos with all of you.
Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Coenosium Gardens visit, Sept 2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coenosium Gardens

Gorgeous gardens, I'm hoping to get out to see Coenosium gardens next spring if everything works out. The photos are gorgeous...your partner captured some wonderful shots.

o

thx for sharing..

stunning photography ....

had to go pretty far down that page to find any grass in any of those gardens ...

couldnt even find a good place for the old standard: still some grass left to turn into a new bed.. lol

ken

o

ladylotus let me know if your trip takes in the Bay Area - some nice spots to visit here as well.

Ken - the property was woodland (with BIG trees) when they started...he has to take out monsters to put in new beds! Makes me thankful that I started with grass - fields in my case, but same difference.

Sara

o

i meant your blog page.. and all the various gardens contained therein ... not just bob's [i hate to be so familiar.. but i cant spell conoseum from memory.. or do i?? .. nope now that i look at it.. lol]

ken

ps: yeah yeah.. i see it in the title just above where i am typing.. but i am looking at the keyboard ...

o

Oh yes, I see what you mean! We don't have a lot of grass out here...no summer rain in many parts of the West, so keeping a lawn green would be a challenge.

The shots with lawn are in the PNW - I hear they get rain up there from time to time...:)

Sara

o

Great photo shoot. Though I've yet to see the photo of Coenosium Gardens that was not awe-inspiring, this photo tour was special indeed. Nice how you captured different aspects of the art. Especially love the rock garden photo (the "newer garden")...it seems to convey such a feeling of depth, and the plants are of course awesome.

May I ask, Sara, which plants did you take home with you? Photos?...

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (NW) (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 20:16

Nice tour, enjoy checking out the blog. These posts are a nice reminder to come visit.

o

Sara,

It was a pleasure having you and Jan visit. I always enjoy seeing how other people view our gardens by seeing some of their pictures. After I get our catalog updated I'll take some time and put up some pictures of the garden I created out of our former sales area.

Bob

o

Thanks, Bob, looking forward to it! I think that Jan is planning to send you a disk of her photos. We had such a nice time visiting and thanks again for your hospitality. If you are ever down this way it would be a pleasure to show you your plants in my garden.
Sara
ps Maple Grove I will look up the plants that I bought and post them tomorrow.

o

You could give me those exact same conifers, and it wouldn't look 10% as nice...

o

Maple Grove - I seem to have been Pinus-crazy when I was at Coenosium (although it's probably my favorite conifer genus anyway), and here's what got:
P. cembra 'Aurea'
P. sylvestris 'Vargguld'
P. strobus 'Greg'
P. strobus 'Horsford'
P. uncinata 'Johan Ricany'

And then, to fill the box, a Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper'

The plants are in 5" pots and are all sturdy and well-rooted. They arrived in great shape.

Sara

o

Nice selection of plants, and I'll also admit to having experienced moments of pine obsession.

'Berliner's Weeper' is a great selection; I've one which is about 10 years old, it's certainly one of my favorites. I'd recommend giving it a prime spot.

Alex

o

• Posted by dcsteg 5 Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 12:32

Sara,

P. strobus 'Horsford'. A tight growing cultivar and one you won't be disappointed with.

Needs a yearly needle clean out for good air circulation.

Enjoy.

Dave

A 12 year old specimen.

Photobucket

o

I came across this pic of 'Berliner's Weeper' from a few months back, and thought you might be interested. It's a fast grower, as I'm sure you know. Boy, was I relieved when I saw that it made it through Sandy unscathed.

Picea omorika 'Berliner's Weeper'

Photobucket

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 9:23

o

Thank you Dave and Alex for the photos - the 'Horsford' is gorgeous - I am so glad that I got it. I spend a good part of early autumn being a 'Pine Groomer' - a very Zen-like and relaxing chore, I find, so I will add this one to the garden's beauty regimen.

Love the 'Berliner's Weeper', too! It is the only one of the Coenosium haul that I have not planted, still searching, as you suggest, for a prime spot. I like to make sure that I give everything enough room (at least for the growth likely in MY lifetime!)

Thanks again -

Sara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here