Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc77

ID Please?

sc77 (6b MA)
10 years ago

Saw this Pine? Tree growing on the side of the road..what caught my attention was how heavy of shade it was in and still seemed very full. This spot is very heavy shade during the summer. I know pines are somewhat shade tolerant when young, but even our native Pinus strobus would be sparse in this type of shade.

Thanks,
Shawn

Comments (7)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Full tree

• sluice
    10 years ago

Looks like abies, possibly concolor. Nice tree!

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks sluice! I have never seen Abies concolor is the woods of MA...I would love to know how it got there...very unlikley spot for someone to plant it. Im also stunned at how much shade it can handle. This spot gets no direct sun!! Might be time to try this species in my own yard

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Yes, Abies concolor.
    Clement

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

crushed needles will probably smell like grapefruit ...

its tolerating shade... but kinda thin for it .... as google images might show ... not enough coffee to do it right this moment

there are a couple stunning powder blue cultivars.. that rival pungens hoopsi for the clarity of color ... e.g candicans, blue cloak, etc ...

and it should have.. stunning sapphire blue cones in spring/early summer ... google might show that also ...

ken

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Clement! Ken, ya it's a little thin, but given the amount of sun it receives it looks incredible. During the summer with all the deciduous trees leafed out I would think a yew would struggle in there, so I have a new appreciation for this species.

I suspect that all the cultivars, especially the blue ones would look ratty, but the species are a little more rugged. The very dark green needles probably also give it an advantage. With that said, I might give Abies concolor `Archer's Dwarf' a shot in a spot that only gets about 3 hrs direct sun, with bright filtered shade.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have two candicans ...

one is in full sun ... fat.. happy.. and somewhat squat ... incredible color.. sublime blue cones ...

the other is on the north side of a tree line.. complete shade... maybe 50% large ... sparse.. open.. sorta like your pic .... i dont think it cones very vigorously at all .. color is the same ... perhaps longer lived as it doesnt sunburn.. for lack of a better word ...

ken

ps: and dont ever call it a pine again ... or we will make you wear a large red P on your sweater ... lol ... i believe.. and i might be wrong.. lol.. since this is the only family of plants i ONLY know latin on .. its a fir ... but dont quote me.. and dont tell anyone else ...