Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus yunnanensis

Posted by salicaceae z8b FL (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 21:36

One of my favorite pines - unfortunately, this one died from Armillaria. I have some more seedlings coming along though.

From Mexican Pines

Anyone else growing it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus yunnanensis

I seem to recall seeing one at the National Arboretum some years ago, in the Asian Valley. I wonder if it's still there. It's kind of pathetic they don't have their collections database online, but many congressmen want to defund the whole operation so I guess we should be glad we have what we do.

o

How many plants die from Armillaria in FL? Have biopsies or postmortems determined that they are really dying from that, and that something else isn't starting the process first? I thought this was mostly a problem of plants in maritime climates. From the various advanced gardeners I know in the mid-Atlantic and upper South, I've never heard of anything dying from it. I hope it doesn't spread north. Maybe we should saw your state off from the rest of North America.

o

"I seem to recall seeing one at the National Arboretum some years ago, in the Asian Valley"

Be worth checking its identity too; it might be hardy that far north, but I'm not sure. Of course if it's gone, it might have been a bad winter got it, though pine wilt nematode will also be a high risk.

"I thought this was mostly a problem of plants in maritime climates"

Well Florida is maritime, if subtropical maritime. For what it's worth, Armillaria is certainly frequent in Britain.

"Maybe we should saw your state off from the rest of North America"

Sea level rises will do that before long anyway!

Resin

o

• Posted by beng z6b western MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 10:17

Very handsome. The needles droop similarly to my Himalayan white pine, which, IIRC, you sent me, salicaceae!

o

Armillaria is common everywhere. It is especially cmon here in oak forests, but in northern areas and the Rockies, it's a problem on conifers primarily. There are different species of Armillaria in different areas too.

o

Resin,
loved your response, but come on now, Florida is not at all "maritime" in the sense employed by the world's horticulturalists. In fact it's almost the opposite of it, enjoying less moderation than its position would suggest. (Key West has never had a frost, but the rest of the state has. And 90F/32C Gulf waters don't provide much cooling compared to even what Brisbane probably gets.) Even the slightly ridiculous Koppen system doesn't agree with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanic_climate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here