Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue Araucaria

Posted by salicaceae z8b FL (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 21:37

This is a blue Araucaria cunninghamii I grafted a couple of years ago. The blue 'form' (var. glauca) is found in certain areas of Australia (Magnetic Island) and also in PNG. The source of the scion was a seedling blue variant in a batch of green ones a friend raised. The graft is now growing happily in my garden and came through last winter (which was rough due to the wildly fluctuating temps) with minimal damage.

From April 20, 2010

I also have a graft of a blue A. heterophylla I will post. It is a plagiotropic one, so it will just be a groundcover.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
another photo..

o
RE: blue Araucaria

Sweet, not a fan of ground covers, but a tree form, I am.

Dax

o

"It is a plagiotropic one, so it will just be a groundcover."

Forever? Can something like GA or another hormone force them to start a leader? A slew of weird synthetic ones are available from commercial greenhouse suppliers, although I think the majority of those are intended to stop a leader from forming! If you read research papers about them though, they use various opposite-acting hormones (only available from laboratory suppliers, unfortunately) to test their efficacy. Could be an avenue to explore.

o

Gosh Jason, you have the coolest stuff. I still have to come up with something to trade you sometime (no eucalypts at the moment). I have Cupressus austrotibetica or C sp Mekong River, maybe there's a slight chance you don't have one of those. BTW I have rooted A. bidwillii from a terminal shoot without much trouble, after it grew back with multiple leaders when it froze... going to try A. angustifolia next. I haven't tried grafting them.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 20:19

I think if you check you may find that first cypress is just another Silbanym. Tying a shoot to a stake may produce a leader from the araucaria.

o

Yes, I have read that it is, but it looks different enough to me from C. duclouxiana, side by side in pots, to be worth collecting.

o

Thanks Ian - we have plenty of stuff to trade if you are interested. Send me a message and we can work something out. Glad you like these photos - I have LOTS more to show (and will when I have time). It is fun to show those from cold climates what warm temperate and tropical conifers look like.

o

As I love both Araucarias and blue plants, well done.

o

Thanks - I do too. It isn't as blue now that it is getting bigger, but definitely glaucous. There are some super blue ones in PNG and even a blue form of A. hunsteinii, which is like bidwilii. Can you imagine that?! I really some material of that!

o

All your pics are wonderful and very interesting,salicaceae.

Please show us more, when you have time.

Most I've never seen.

Wolfgang

o

Yes anyone know if this blue Klinki pine is in
cultivation need some photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here