Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristiepdx

What kind of sequoia do I have?

kristiepdx
12 years ago

The previous owners said they planted this tree when they moved in in 1962. I have been told it was a "redwood" or some kind of sequoia. This thing is MASSIVE considering how old this tree is. Pictures were taken last year when we moved in, at that time the yard was total mess.

{{gwi:611680}}

{{gwi:611686}}

Comments (10)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

On my cell I cant see the foliage close enough to tell. Here is a link. As a st louis boy who does not see either often I think of sequoia as scale like foliage, redwood needle like.

Impressive tree and nice pics btw.

My munchkin gets used as a measuring stick also. He's 34 inches lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of foliage of each

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

You have a nice specimen of Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant Sequoia).
    Here's a link to some info on it.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Sequoiadendron giganteum

• botann
    12 years ago

They are beautiful trees. Portland has a lot of them.
    That whole area has a lot of them.
    Mike

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

You have a Treeus fantasticus if you ask me!. What a beauty.

+oM

• kristiepdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are a lot of these types of trees here in Portland. Most of them look like huge cones with branches all the way to the ground. I see from the link that shading can cause the limbs to fall off. My tree is in a shaded area and grew up to meet the sun.

They planted this tree in the middle of the backyard along the southern fence (insert eyeroll). Western red cedar of similar age is just off to the right (it actually has a huge trunk also) To the west and north of my backyard we are surrounded by HUGE Douglas firs (I live in Oregon after all). Most of my back yard sees a lot of shade. I have been combing these forums for woodland garden ideas. My front yard gets more sun so I can have the best of both worlds.

(tornado) Seems to be convenient to use the little ones as yardsticks since they are always right there. Can get a picture of the kids and a picture of the project/plant ect at the same time. Then when they get older, they can see how small they were and how much the tree grew ect. I love kids.

• kristiepdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, according to the link, it says it is hard to get seeds out of the pine-cones? My daughter collected a bunch of the pine-cones and tapped them on the picnic table and got about 1/4 cup of little desiccated oatmeal like seeds. I thought about trying to sprout them, but my husband said it would be irresponsible because we have do not place to plant them.

• pineresin
    12 years ago

"Also, according to the link, it says it is hard to get seeds out of the pine-cones?"

Not just hard, it's impossible to get sequoia seeds out of pine cones. You only ever get pine seeds out of pine cones. Quite easy to get sequoia seeds out of sequoia cones, though.

;-)

Resin

• botann
    12 years ago

To some people, any cone is a Pine cone.
    Bothers me too.
    It also bothers me when people call all shrubs, booshes.
    Mike

• kristiepdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am really embarrassed. Sorry that I did not have the right words and that I misspoke.

• botann
    12 years ago

Kristie, I misspeak all the time. Ask Edwin. ;-)
    It's not a problem. It's a learning thing.
    Welcome to our conifer forum.
    It's a fun place.
    Mike
    {{gwi:852979}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner