Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chamaecyparis thyoides var. henryae in habitat

Posted by salicaceae z8b FL (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 21:44

Growing with longleaf pine (P. palustris) in the Florida panhandle.
From June 2007

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chamaecyparis thyoides var. henryae in habitat

Always amazed at how much some FL scenes look like places in N. WI. albeit. very different undergrowth!

+oM

o

I know - sometimes I feel like I am back in Minnesota, until I see the saw palmettos or an armadillo. There is something about these areas that reminds me of the upper midwest though.

o

fantastic photo I have a chamaecyparis henryae here very
rare in cultivation I like the bright green foliage very
much.

o

Nice!

Taxonomically and ecologically, it is sufficiently distinct from typical White Cypress to deserve subspeciefic (rather than varietal) status, i.e. Chamaecyparis thyoides subsp. henryae. It was of course first described as a separate species (Chamaecyparis henryae), but isn't distinct enough for that.

Resin

o

Sal, I'd forgotten your MN background. You do indeed then know whereof I speak! Last time I was in FL, I was frequently struck by the similarities between these two widely separated regions.

I'm going to be going to Fort Myers in a couple weeks. Any special recommendations for a worthy day trip to a natural area?

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here