Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Abies koreana 'Kohouts Icebreaker'

Perhaps no plant in the last few years has caused so much excitement amongst conifer collectors and avid gardeners and not without good reason. This is an amazing newer introduction and sure to be a long-time winner and beauty in any garden. Found by Jorg Kohout, it's a slower growing, silvery beautiful plant, though it's growth habit can be variable unless controlled by pruning. I can now show four years of growth from two specimens, both planted in 2009, purchased from Coenosium Gardens. They are in dissimilar light situations, as explained below, and have thus grown quite differently though it remains to be seen if the light conditions are the reason for the difference in growth.

This first specimen has been growing in full sun, which here in the Pacific Northwest means 12+ hours of daylight in Summer. It's been watered normally and never fertilized.

2011 - Early push.

2011 - Hardened foliage.

2012 - Early push. Super color.

2012 - Here at the bottom of the plant, you can see a strong leader forming.

2013 - This year the leader exploded into a strong upright terminal leader with a growth of about seven inches.

. .

This second specimen is planted under a Japanese maple and gets little more than 4-5 hours of direct sun a day, and that's at peak Summer. The rest of the year it gets barely a few hours of direct sun with the rest, indirect. As with all of my conifers, it receives NO fertilizer and is planted in well-drained, relatively poor, sandy soil.

2013 - Still no sign of a leader though it does seem to be growing laterally towards the sun, so to speak a little faster than the other lateral shoots. It's small in comparison to my front yard specimen.

Finally I have a specimen grafted on a standard. It's only been in my garden since Autumn, 2010 but it shows a little more compact behavior. Rest assured it IS 'Kohouts Icebreaker'. I know some people will think it is not but it's a Bob Fincham graft, so I am confident in it's identity.

So what is going on? Is it simply more sun causing the first specimen to grow so strongly? I think so, though it is seen often in dwarf/miniature fir cultivars that with many years they turn upwards and form a faster growing, though still dwarfish leader. This front yard bed the first specimen is growing in has several other fir miniature/dwarves and almost ALL of them that have 3+ years in the ground are exhibiting similar behavior. Here are some examples:

Abies koreana 'Silberperle' - Two monstrous leaders appeared out of nowhere on this plant, after years of 1" a year growth.

Abies veitchii 'Heddergott' - Very symmetrical until it exploded upwards with a six inch leader...

My own gardening experience with conifers is in it's infancy. I've learned what I can from the great noblemen/women in the industry/hobby. My opinion is a small grain of salt to be sure but my hunch is simply that full sun AND time will generate a more upright plant with accelerated growth upwards, though still a very beautiful plant. Certainly others with much more experience than me are welcome to chime in.

One thing is sure. The sooner you can find one of these beauties and get it planted in a protected, sunny spot, you'll be a happy gardener sporting one of the most beautiful 'trees' known to gardening.

-Will

Comments (18)

• unprofessional
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you think the leader on the first one is a reversion? That's a hell of a change! Do you know the understock on each? Thanks for sharing.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Some of the greatest minds in conifering (and an certain opinionated amateur) have been discussing these very points over on the ACS site. Only the passage of time will tell what 'Kohouts Icebreaker' will look like over time. That's one of the cool things about this hobby.

take a look.
    ~Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS discussion board

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

I have to wonder if it will turn out to be a case similar to Picea pungens 'Waldbrunn' where different methods of propagation yield very different plants, with grafted plants growing over time into small conical trees and only plants grown from cuttings preserving the globose form over time.

Does anyone know if there exist any Icebreakers grown from cuttings?

Alex

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i think my 3.. made it easy for me...

i am pretty sure.. they all committed suicide ...

whats that all about???

i will have to check on the last one ...

2 years in a row of drought had made life a misery for babes in the garden ...

does the PNW know what a drought is.. or is that when they only get 50 inches of rain .. lol ...

ken

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Will, Thanks for taking the time to post these time-lapse photos. I have only been collecting (slowly) for 2 years and often reference these posts in anticipation of what my trees will look like in a few years. 'Kohouts Icebreaker' is impressive, especially in full sun. I will be getting this plant next spring for sure!

Shawn

• treeforme
    8 years ago

Hey firefightergardener, I am wondering how I can message you? I have just a few questions. Thanks for all your amazing pictures and info you always put up here!

• User
    8 years ago

lovely collection of colours and textures.

• NWalton (Zone 6a)
    7 years ago

Updates?

• Sara Malone (Zone 9b)
    7 years ago

Will is not on this forum anymore. You can find him on Facebook. If you are a member, you can pm him there.

William Fletcher

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

glaciers_end, nice tree!

I planted an Abies Koreana 'Kohouts Icebreaker' two falls ago in full sun. It was doing well until june when the temperatures hit in the 80's. I watered the tree a few times, right after the needles started turning brown and the tree died.

I want to give this tree another chance. What do you recommend for growing this tree on the east coast. Would afternoon shade be beneficial? Watering requirements?

My Horstmann's Silberlocke Korean Fir has been in the ground 3 years and is doing well. Does the Ice breaker need different requirements?

Thanks.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    7 years ago

Since 'Kohouts Icebreaker' and 'Horstmann's Silberlocke' share similar DNA, their preferences should also be similar. Definitely afternoon shade, well-drained soil, and adequate irrigation.

Given the high heat and humidity back east, seeking out a plant grafted onto Abies firma might give you a better shot at success.

Good luck!

7 years ago

Thanks for the info! My Horstmann's Silberlocke gets full Sun until the summer and then it's in part shade.

• Chris (6b, Bergen NJ)
    7 years ago

How does your silberlocke do in the hot and humid L.I.? Is your 7b more temperate than my 6b? I've been told I can't grow Abies koreana, so naturally I bought a 'Silver show', which happened to start pushing cones soon after I bare-rooted it a few weeks ago to get it into 23gallons of gritty mix. Scared for it for the summer.

7 years ago

Chris, the Silberlocke has been doing well but it gets afternoon shade during the entire summer. Temperatures here are often more temperate than inland locations because of the sea breeze but during july and august we do hit into the upper 80's and 90's. I have a silver Show growing in a container for 3 years and it struggles in the summer a bit but I have it in full sun. I'll be moving the tree to a spot where it has afternoon shade.

• Chris (6b, Bergen NJ)
    7 years ago

Ok I feel a lot better now, it gets 2.5 hours early morning sun, then shade during the hottest parts of the day, then 3 hours of the latest sun of the day. The shade above it is quite high up, probably 100', so there's some small holes, probably only adds up to <30min. 5.5-6 hours of weak sun, I think it might do alright if the temps stay reasonable, problem is we can get extended durations of time at 90+.. Thanks, and sorry for the thread hijack.

Your 'icebreakers' are gorgeous!

• Nancy Mohr
    6 years ago

My Icebreaker is losing its graft can it be saved?

6 years ago

Nancy, can you post a photo? How much water has it been getting? This variety needs good drainage and It seems to not like too much water.