Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatplainsturf

Spruce ID Please

greatplainsturf
11 years ago

Picked this up from the local big box today heavily discounted. It's labeled as picea omorika bruns pendula - Siberian (not Serbian) spruce. I know the Siberian part is wrong but I don't think it's pendula bruns either. It's not weeping. My guess is Bruns or Pendula. What do you think it is?

Comments (6)

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

That a badly pruned 'Bruns'.

End of season plants from gardens centers and big box stores scare me. Did you check out the roots?

Eitherway, a nice cultivar that after a few seasons of growing will look more natural.

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know the quality isn't the best but for 20 bucks and a no questions asked year warranty. I couldn't resist. Bruns was my guess as well. I think it will loosen up. It was tied up and the bottom is smashed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I know the quality isn't the best but for 20 bucks and a no questions asked year warranty.

==>>> super on the bargain ...SCORE!!!!

but understand.. that at that size.. it MIGHT fail.. in year two or 3 ...

i dont know why ... or i dont feel like typing it all out ... but that is what trees do ... [it would be a theory of having enough stored energy to hang on for a period longer than the warranty, subject to the whims of mother nature.. proper planting.. watering ... etc ...] ...

its like the injury on the sycamore ... who will know .. why it will fail ... IF AND WHEN IT DOES ...

regardless.. you SCORED ... you are happy .. you are throwing the dice ... just dont get wound up and upset.. if it has problems.. in a year or two .. or 3 ... but by that point.. you will know on success ... the point at which i call transplants 'free range' ...

as of right now.. i am picturing the happy dance ...

have a great day with family today ... and brag about your score ...

ken

ps: i once had two trees like those pictured.. and actually held them in the house for xmas for two weeks ... lights and all.. and threw them outdoors come the new year ... i closed off all heat to the living room.. protected the carpet with plastic .... etc ...

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Like Whaas says, check the roots.

If they're coiled round'n'round, unwind them as much as you can (soak in a tub of water for half a day before doing so!) and spread them wide on planting.

The other risk is that they'll have hacked off most of the roots just like they've done with a lot of the shoots; if so, while it could survive and eventually grow well, it's growth will be stunted for several years while it puts all its energy into growing new roots.

Resin

• greatplainsturf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its actually a b&b tree in this pot so I don't think circling roots will be an issue.

Since everyone seems to agree its bruns not pendula bruns. Have others liked this tree? Anyone have pics of theirs?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Yep, it's 'Bruns'.
    'Pendula Bruns' does have weeping side branches...

I don't understand why the nurseryman pruned it while this cultivar don't need any pruning for a nice shape.
    Probably a lack of knowledge...

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County