Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Wish I took more of these pics...

whaas_5a
11 years ago

When you don't have much to photograph you typically don't take may photos of nothing but I did come across a few "like" views out from under the deck. Its amazing how much these new plantings and designs can progress in a year!

Summer 2011
{{gwi:853762}}

Fall 2011
{{gwi:853763}}

Spring 2012
{{gwi:853764}}

And yes the Acer palmatum did shrink due to severe frosts this past spring!

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

a brilliant plan to make that house behind disappear.. at least the straight lines that disturb the natural view ...

what is screened in the last??? .. and what is the larger deciduous tree.. is that one yours???

the two pungens.. look like the other neighbor is working on hiding you ... lol ...

what i did .. way back.. was empty the camera card .. and simply walk to the 4 corners of the house ... and take a pic north,s,e,w .. next corner.. under the deck.. on the deck.. [at the old house .. from the roof.. lol] ...

then out to the corners of the lot ... same ... choosing predictably remembered spots ... and go back every spring and fall... creating a photo history of how the garden ages ....

ken

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

You have come a long way in 2 years.

Your design is completed and a few of the main players planted and looking good.

Time to relax and add a few choice conifers and companion plants every year. Look for the good stuff and don't be in a hurry.

Let's hope the weather turns around for us. As far north as you are your Acer palms will always be in danger of late spring cold snaps and frost. Some of them leaf out early...stay away from those. Even in Kansas City I have to offer protection for some of mine in April.

Thanks for posting your photos.

Dave

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Awesome Will! I really like the way you created your beds! I thought you were after a 'Dave' style garden but this images show a 'Ken' like garden which creates a different view-feeling but equally exciting. Maybe if you follow Dave's solid advice you could create 'Dave' style parts in there and let us enjoy both worlds in the next set of images!

Fotis

ps I had the same effect with both my Nandina domestica 'Firepower'. First year they srhunk due to drought and second year haven't reached the purchased size.

ps2 Ken this should be will's 'Skylands' under that shade cloth.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

What, no "Fall 2012"? lol

Nice transition pix, Will. Thanks for posting them.

tj

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Keep on going, Will. Good work so far.

I'll bet the deciduous Ken asks about is a birch, probably a river birch.

Regards,

Dax

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Will, you sure did make quite a transformation in one short year. Your gardens are really looking great.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All, thanks for the comments. You surely have all been instrumental with building that knowledge base with conifers. It was just a couple years ago when I came here asking for advice on screening plants. Who would have thought I'd be planting a couple hundred instead!

Ken, good suggestion with the pictures. Now I just have to stay on top of it. Believe it or not that tree is the neighbors. Its about 150' away , although it looks decent its a box elder!

Dave, thats exactly where I am. It was an all out blitz the last two growing seasons. Although my overall vision will be complete next spring, I'll be fine tuning for as long I live here!

Fotis, looking forward to sharing more pics. Its always great to see others transformations, such as yours, to get inspired. I wish I had the rock you have!

TJ, You'd think I would have taken a pic of my favorite season! I really slacked on the pics this year.

Dax, Lady...thanks again. You can only learn from the best.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor