Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abciximab

mislabeled Ginkgo biloba probably 'Tubiformis'?

abciximab
11 years ago

I purchased this Ginkgo biloba last winter from a local nursery. It was labeled 'Chris' Dwarf'. It has an dense,upright shrubby habit with numerous fastigiate branches. Once the leaves appeared, I realized it probably wasn't 'Chris' Dwarf'. The leaves roll into funnels/tubes and look as what I've seen in photos of 'Tubiformis'. The leaves are also larger than those seen on 'Chris Dwarf'. Does 'Tubiformis' have a multi stemmed, shrubby appearance?Any opinions?

{{gwi:624225}}

{{gwi:624226}}

Comments (14)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

This is a strange one, it's not a 'Tubifolia'.
    A true 'Tubifolia' does have real "tube" leaves without a beginning and an end.
    The leaves of this one are rolled.

For sure it's not a 'Chris' Dwarf' aka 'Munchkin' either...

• floramakros
    11 years ago

I've seen plants like these twice, once labeled 'green bells' and he other time 'gollum's fingers' (not the Crassula). They were both handmade signs and the plants were for sale in San Francisco's Chinatown. I was into orchids not ginkgos at the time so I let them slide. Maybe they were just dehydrated?! ROFL!

• blue_yew
    11 years ago

I like the look of that ginkog biloba cultivar very
    much need to know what cultivar it is.

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Before everyone goes crazy trying to find the correct cultivar it is possible that it came from a Tubiformis graft. The leaf says Tubiformis but the branching does not. If when propagated one of the scions possessed a slight difference then you could end up with the varied form shown in the picture. Many Ginkgos have unstable traits. Regardless this is a beautiful form and I would bet most of us would love to have one just like it.

• fotisr
    11 years ago

I agree with blue_yew. Would love to have that ginkgo..

Fotis

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

"The leaf says Tubiformis"

No, it doesn't because a true 'TUBIFOLIA' (not 'Tubiformis') does have real "tube" leaves without a beginning and an end.
    The leaves of this one are rolled.

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

"Without a beginning and an end" would be infinity.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

That's what a circle is...infinity. On a 'Tubifolia' the leaves are fused at the base into a circle, or cone. The leaves on the Ginkgo in the photo are furled but not joined.

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    11 years ago

The growth habit is the same as G.b. Robbies Twisted.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

No 'ROBBIE'S TWIST' either.
    The wood is a slightly contorted indeed, but the "rolled" leaves doesn't fit for this cultivar...

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Edwin: Can you post a picture of the Tubifolia leaf for comparison?

• ritmatt
    10 years ago

I was searching for some information about Ginkgo biloba 'Tubiformis' and ran across this post. While I'm late to the party, I thought I'd go ahead and respond with some photos of my plant, as per a request in this thread.

This is a young plant in a #1 pot, about 2.5ft tall.

{{gwi:853780}}

A closeup of the leaf structure.

{{gwi:853782}}

Matt

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Thx Matt, good photos! You captured the tubular shape of the leaves. This plant is correctly styled 'Tubifolia' rather than 'Tubiformis'.

Sara

• ritmatt
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sara. I'm going to create a new thread on the topic of 'Tubifolia' vs 'Tubiformis'. I'm curious about it.