Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

I want the Motherlode!

ladylotus
12 years ago

In my travels, I took a photo of this plant called Juniperus horizontalis 'Motherlode'. I want this plant! It is such a bright yellow color that it stood out from across the yard.

Here is a photo I took at a friends house.

Do any of you have this one?

Comments (17)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

For some background...

Here is a link that might be useful: Iseli Nursery: Dwarf Conifers, Japanese Maples, Living Art®, Bonsai

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Always available around here the week before Mother's Day in 4" pots for $8-10. Look for the Iseli "Fanciful Gardens" display at just about any nursery that carries Iseli stuff.

tj

• tunilla
    12 years ago

But strangely absent from the stalls of Conifergrowers over here! Thanks for the nice pic Mrs Lotus! T.

• sluice
    12 years ago

That one looks nice, flowing around the rock.

I'm growing this plant too. Great color interest, both summer and winter.

• miclino
    12 years ago

Been eyeing this plant since last year. I'm guessing this would not be a good conifer to plant as groundcover between perennials as it would probably smother them correct?

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Lady, may I use this beautiful pic for the Dutch Conifer Society database?
    Many thanks in advance!

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I have a larger Motherlode for many years, it tries to grow into my lawn now. You can easily propagate it via ground layering, as I did, now I have 3.
    It probably will tolerate perennials. Some weeds and columbines try to grow in it. It also coexists with heathers.

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Ms. Ladylotus, nice pic. From your zone and ND I take it your just above me,I'm zone 4b southeastern SD. I find this cultivar in the nuseries in my area, and have a few growing in my garden, doing well. Stop for a visit and nuresery hop, we get a great supply of Iseli stock down here.

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

This cultivar has many applications.

Very adaptable to training.

Planted behind the 'Procumbens' 10 years ago.

Dave

{{gwi:643497}}

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey guys, I can not believe this one is so readily available in your area. I've never seen it at any nurseries I've been too. We don't have anyone around here that brings plants in from Iseli. But now that I know who sells this plant I will be on the look out for it this summer.

Bboy, thank you for the background information. I did not know that Iseli's sold this plant.

Tj, thank you for the information. I will definitely be on the look out for this one. I have a few great places for it. If I get one I can take cuttings to add in a few different places in my gardens.

Tunilla, perhaps you should add this one to your wish list. It sure is a vibrant colored plant during the summer. I've not seen the fall coloring but from the information Bboy linked it sounds wonderful.

Sluice, It is not my plant but sure is beautiful the way she has it running through her gardens.

Miclino, I imagine it might be like my blue chip juniper and if so, I would not let it grow in my perennial bed. I think it would smother any good perennials.

Berndnyz5, I'm glad it is easy to propagate. I would like a few of them too.

Harv, I live in the center of ND. If I'm ever on my way through SD I will definitely look you us. I love to go nursery hopping.

Coniferjoy, you may use that photo for the database. I can email you a larger pixel photo if you would like.

Dave wow your photo and conifer garden is beautiful. I wonder if you couldn't stake it and make a weeping type conifer from it. Not sure how hard the trunk/branches are as to whether they would hold up or not.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Lady, thank you for using this pic.
    Please send me a larger pixel one to me.
    You can do this by using my "My Page"
    Thanks again!

• miclino
    12 years ago

Yeah, somehow I don't see how it would allow perenials to do well with such a dense mat. Perhaps I'll plant it among some roses in full sun.

• botann
    12 years ago

Maintenance and design wise, most perennials shouldn't be placed side by side with ground hugging junipers that root as they spread. Smaller ground covers like sedums and thyme are more appropriate. With the addition of well arranged rocks and bulbs like crocus, you have a better 'look' to compliment the upright conifers.
    Mike...I want the 'Motherload' too!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

was cleaning out my PBucket .. found some pix for you

ken

{{gwi:803158}}

{{gwi:803162}}

{{gwi:803160}}

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

Ken, Nice Viburnum lantana variegata. Do you have a (whole) pic to share?
    john

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

viburnum at link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

i planted these a few years ago in a garden i made.
    john