Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus ayacahuite

Posted by conifer50 6b/7aGA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 23:02

This variety of Mexican White Pine is extremely rare in the United States with very few major/minor arborea being able to "boast" of its presence! The cones that this specimen came from usually vary from 6-12 inches depending on moisture abundance during growing season.

Johnny

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus ayacahuite

That one's genuine! Where is it growing?

Resin

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 11 at 10:12

I'm growing a hybrid and just love the glow of this plant!

Photobucket

o

Hi whaas, That's a beautiful hybrid indeed!

Resin, The tree is in Elizabethtown, PA. I think you posted B/W pic of same several years ago.

Here it is earlier in the year(March) with "winter plumage"

Photobucket

o

Thanks! The one mentioned in Arnoldia, then.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnoldia article

o

i have Pinus ayacahuite 'Forest Sky' .. i cant remember what you guys decided as to is heritage [whether it a blue version of the species.. or a hybrid] .... its from gee tree.. i THINK based on some specimen at a college in mid MI

just feel like sharing .. since this pine rarely comes up in conversation ..

whass ... look at the trunk growth.. since its rather wide open.. note the third year spring trunk growth .. its smaller than the previous two... hence my theory of pot fert'g and transplant shock ...

ken

i do not have any other pix at this time

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Hi Ken,

It's a hybrid P. ayacahuite × P. strobus; it should be listed as just Pinus 'Forest Sky'. Some history about it here.

Resin

o

Fri, Nov 11, 11 at 10:46

Great link...good to know a bit about this pine.

o

i THINK based on some specimen at a college in mid MI

===>>> when i said that.. i meant that gary gee got his original scion from some college in MI .... of which i dont recall the name ...

so are we saying that mine is the same as the big one in the big tree pic above??? ...

the second link implies that only one seedling was chosen for propagation .. if i read it right ...

if so.. i have spacing issues ... AGAIN ...lol ... darn trees just keep growing.. FOREVER.. lol ...

ken

o

"so are we saying that mine is the same as the big one in the big tree pic above??? ..."

Nope! Big one is Pinus ayacahuite, yours is a hybrid cultivar.

Resin

o

Here's another possible "ayacahuite" located at Boone County Arboreteum in Union, Kentucky. Lineage is not documented but I'm going to inquire at the last known nursery of origination.

Johnny

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 21:40

That thing is hung!

o

Nice colour pine, and fantastic cones!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here