Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these spent cones on my Thuja occidentalis Sunkist

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 0:32

Just want to see if I understand what I am seeing.

These photos are from 11/14 so understand I am in no sense of panic. Could this four foot tall Thuja be producing cones already?

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Edited with Photobucket (Editor on my phone is better!)
Photobucket

Thanks guys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these spent cones on my Thuja occidentalis Sunkist

All looks normal. Being grafted they can cone much earlier than a seedling would.

tj

o

Thanks tsuga.

The little fella is impressing me greatly. Was attacked by a deer who gave it a poodle like pruning job a few years ago, is growing nicely in a damp enough spot to kill other evergreens, AND it still looks very healthy.

o

Tommy, Thuja occ. 'Sunkist' will always be propagated by cuttings...

o

Yep, cones after maturity. Thuja occidentalis produces cones young anyway, regardless of whether seed or cutting grown.

Resin

o

Pick some anyway and put in a bag and shake them. I'll bet there are seeds still to be had.

Dax

o

Here is a picture of a Sunkist that I found growing at Hidden Lake,MI. Most of the catalogs that I read said that it only grows between six and nine feet high. I guess this one can't read.

Frank

Photobucket

o

That is a beautiful looking tree. I love the bright gold. Makes it so striking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here