Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Picea smithiana 'Ballarat'

monkeytreeboy15
11 years ago

This has to be one of my favorite dwarf spruces.
A beautiful cultivar of an uncommon species.

Its dark green foliage is contrasts nicely with the bright green needles emerging in the spring.
{{gwi:613379}}

The extraordinarily large, orange-brown buds are very ornamental in the winter, and they give the plant a very stocky appearance.

-Sam

Comments (12)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Nice pics of a nice cultivar, Sam!
    There are only a few cultivars of this species.
    The other one's I know are:
    -'Himalaya Hexe'
    -'Nana'
    -'Pakistan'
    -'Sunray'

The 'Ballarat' was found as a witches' broom in Australia by Peter Nitschke.

The 'Himalaya Hexe' was also found as a witches' broom in the Himalaya mountains by my German friend Guenter Eschrich.
    {{gwi:854505}}

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

"orange-brown buds are very ornamental"
    It's aone of the best caracteristic for identification, with the long fine needles.
    Clement

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Can anyone spare a scion or three for 'Ballarat' after Christmas ?

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Great shots of a super plant, Sam.

Can anyone comment on its hardiness? I've alterntively seen 7 and 8/9? I think this question came up recently in regard to 'Sunray', I don't remember if it was fully resolved.

I've already killed one 'Ballarat', and was considering trying again someday in a more sheltered spot. But if it's really Z8, then its clearly not going to happen in my borderline Z6/Z7, microclimate or no.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Very enjoyable plant.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments, everyone.

Edwin, does 'Himalaya Hexe' grow faster than 'Ballarat'?

Alex, I do know that Bob Fincham of Coenosium Gardens said that many of his plants suffered during a relatively early frost in his Zone 7. I believe it would be pushing it in Zone 6 unless it was a very protected area.

If anyone has a picture of a larger specimen, I would love to see it!

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Stephen, if I could I would give you a couple of scions of my 'Ballarat'
    Unfortunately it's only a two year old specimen which is still very small.
    I'll reserve some for you when the time is there...

Sam, I think that the 'Himalya Hexe' will grow a bit faster then the 'Ballarat'.
    Bob Fincham of Coenosium Gardens shows us a pic of an older specimen at his website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's specimen

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Question for you, Edwin. You mentioned recently that you see -7 *F as a low in winter, which is a solid zone 6. What steps do you protect your tender plants such as 'Ballarat' and 'Sunray'? If I remember correctly, the picture of your 'Sunray' showed it growing out in the ground.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Alex, I never protect my Picea smithiana cultivars, either in pot or at my Pinetum.
    I'm propagating and cultivating the 'Himalaya Hexe' and the 'Sunray'.
    I never had problems with both cultivars because of low winter temperatures, I guess they can take more then we think.

You're correct, the pic of my 'Sunray' specimen was taken out in the ground at my Pinutum.
    It's now about 1,5 metres (5 feet) high.
    It's accompanied by it's family friends 'Ballarat' and 'Himalaya Hexe'.
    I guess they're having a great time together, because they never complained about something to me... ;0)

Here is a link that might be useful: My 'Sunray' (first pic)

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

I think the Belgian's winter are more hard than Holland's winter, but I have from long time Picea smithiana "Himalaya Hexe" and "Sunray" in my garden.
    Also 1 "Sunray" in pot without protection.
    For "Balarat" he look more sensible.
    Always depending from the origine of the mother plant.
    Clement

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"I think the Belgian's winter are more hard than Holland's winter"

Belgium has overall less hard winters as it is further west, but it'll depend more on distance from the coast, with the mildest winters on the coast and the coldest well inland. So Ostende (BE) is milder than Enschede (NL), but Den Helder (NL) is milder than Liege (BE).

Resin

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Yes, evidentelly, but don't forget some micro-climat.
    I'm 40 km south of Bruxelles/10 south Charleroi.
    I have often more damages than Edwin, Henk, Wil ..

Clement.