Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floramakros

New Sequoiadendron giganteum collection

floramakros
11 years ago

Between storms today I was able to plant my new giant sequoia collection, I have four 3 year-old cultivars (if any names have changed please let me know): pendula, greenpeace, glaucum and blauer eichzwerg. My main question is whether I need to stake the pendula or will it rise on its own? Any other tips on the cultivars or pix of what I can expect (I'm already in love ;-) are greatly appreciated.

Comments (20)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

It's 'Pendulum' instead of 'Pendula'.

All the old Latin cultivar names of this species will end UM, this is because it's Sequoiadendron gigantUM.

The others are:
    'Compactum'
    'Nanum'
    'Pygmaeum'

I would stake the 'Pendulum' for a couple of years and then let it free to go it's own way into the sky...

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"I would stake the 'Pendulum' for a couple of years and then let it free to go it's own way into the sky..."

Will do coniferjoy, thanks. It also can't hurt with all the crazy winds we've been having lately. Speaking of which, we had a real doozy of a rain storm last night after I was done planting, continued all the way to about an hour ago. I've had no power today until 30 minutes ago. We are SATURATED...went outside to survey the damage, except for a few branch tips of my Canary Island Pines littering the lawn along with many cones everything is OK. All the leaves that were coming down from my deciduous trees were blown off in one night, they're all bare now. Lost some fruit, a few young seedless oranges from my winter crop (by falling due to the wind not by frost thank goodness) but there's plenty more where they came from.

Here is the really strange part: It looks almost like a mini tornado hit my greenpeace during the storm, all the new dirt I put into its hole has completely blown away. The tree is still standing upright, exactly in the position I planted it, as if nothing had happened! The roots are sitting in the hole stuck to the bottom, but it's completely empty otherwise. I've never seen anything like it. Here I go to fill in the hole, hope everybody else is doing OK.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Glad you didn't have major damage.

You say: "all the new dirt......."

dirt is what goes into a vacuum cleaner.
    soil is what goes into a planting hole.

Had to do it...

Dax

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol, that's OK Dax (btw, as an interesting sidenote I was a regular participant in the star_trek echo, probably one of the most popular BBS lists in the late 80's. It started right when the new generation tv show did, 1987 I believe. Many of the writers and other staff would read it, and we would have fascinating conversations with their technical advisors as well. I mentioned my dog's name on the echo, he was born and AKC registered in 1976. He was a boxer. We named him Dax! They all loved his name on the echo. A couple of years later the Star Trek character of Dax was introduced. Coincidence? ;-) I happily contributed to Star Trek history...you don't owe your name to me too, do you? ;-)

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ps My dog was named after the lead character in the Harold Robbins book the Adventurers, Diogenes Alejandro Xenos i.e. Dax. So now you know the rest of the story...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I have never staked my S. giganteum 'Pendulum', just fyi. I was also told that they would not survive here (Petaluma) because it is too hot and dry. They are going on 4 years in the ground, were put in as #15s about 3.5-4' tall, and seem to be doing great (I do give them a fair amount of water). They are now about 8-10' tall. As you can see, they are still pretty straight. I am waiting for them to start to take those crazy dips!

Here is a link that might be useful: S. giganteum 'Pendulum'

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pps I know the technical differences between soil and dirt btw. I use the words interchangeably and most likely always will for a few reasons (all of this is just as an explanation, I'm not feeling defensive if you're concerned I took it the wrong way). When I see the word soil it reminds me of soiled which reminds me of used diapers (this probably rings a bell with others here who've dealt with diapers!) It also has that annOYing OY sound in it. Dirt is a much more fun word to say, a hard beginning which softens to dust...plus I've always loved "d" words...you'll probably see it several thousand more times in my msgs I'm afraid, if it's a pet peeve of yours please hold your fire...;-)

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice formandfoliage! I hope mine does as well as yours. I thought about planting a group of three as well, they look like aliens having a secret meeting...;-)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Exactly! Or something out of a Dr. Seuss story. I do feel like they are watching over me...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Harold Robbins was a big fan of my Dad, and, that's how I got my name.

There's always a story. It's quite interesting to hear yours.

Dax

• salicaceae
    11 years ago

Sequoiadendron I have no hopes to cultivate here - maybe at my parents' place in Ohio (there are a few around up there - mostly 'Hazel Smith'. 'Pendulum' is really nice, I would grow it if I could.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

saliaceae where in FL are you? My blog partner is in Century (on the Alabama line, due north of Pensacola) and she needs some help in picking out conifers that will grow where she is - also Z8b.
    Sara

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you ever come through San Francisco again Jason check out Garfield Square, it's your typical city park with a nice soccer field that you can see anywhere in America, except all the large trees (and even the medium trees bordering the sidewalks) are Sequoiadendrons! It's a pretty amazing sight.

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

I'm wondering if the one's I mentioned are (still) availlable in the U.S.?
    -'Compactum'
    -'Nanum'
    -'Pygmaeum'
    All are true beauties...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Edwin I've never seen any of those three available out here...I do have one called 'Von Martin', which is lovely.
    Sara

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To formandfoliage: I couldn't resist the call of the Triad, I just ordered two more S. giganteum 'Pendulum'! ;-)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I think that you will like them together like that. I have seen them in threes in other places (see link below to Buchholz) and that's why I planted three together!
    Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Trio of Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum'

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The taller they get the weirder they look, no two look alike is no joke!

• floramakros
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I planted the two other members of the Triad today, even at a mere 3 years old they already have plenty of personality and a quirky attentive look about them, 'Pendulum' works as a trio in a way I've never seen in other cultivars, they look like they're animated in conversation, really fun trees! ;-)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Yay! They are great fun. If you get up to Oregon, visit the Oregon Garden, which has a nice stand of them, and then of course those monsters that guard the entrance to Iseli Nursery.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County